Blues vs. Channels?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by smoothkip25, Aug 15, 2008.

1. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ive caught many catfish around central ohio and ive had people tell me some of the so called big channels i was catching were in fact blue cats! How can i tell the difference? Cause according to the ohio DNR There are no blues in any local water!

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Here is the first information I read when I asked the same question. http://home.earthlink.net/~catfish_billy/id45.html

ODNR has not stocked Blue Cats anywhere to my knowledge, but that does not mean that there are none. A lot of times channels are mis-identified as channels because of their lack of spots as they age. Side by side , you can easily tell them apart.

3. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio

Thanks alot that was very helpful!

4. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yep,specially channels caught out of deeper,cooler water,they have some of the most beautiful colors on them,can easily be mistaken for blues.

what waters you fishin around central ohio?

5. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i caught a channel 2 weeks ago that looked like a blue

6. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Alum Creek, Wills creek, Parts of the muskingum, Some nice farm ponds!

7. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I have seen a few blues out of the Scioto. But VERY few.

8. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Have also caught a few 4 to 5 lb channels recently (2 weeks ago)that looked almost flathead-like. Dark green colored on top with much larger,flatter heads than the usual 4 or 5 pounders. And they weren't spotted. But had forked tails. Spawning/Post spawn males perhaps?

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I have responded to posts like this alot. the best advice I can give a person is to count the rays on the anal fin.

The Blue Cat has 30 or more rays on the anal fin. Straight fin. More rounded head and body.

The Channel Cat has 24-29 rays on the anal fin. Rounded fin. More streamlined head and body. Spots on younger fish.

:big_smile::0a26:

Mark..

10. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    channels all the way brother

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All I can say is if you have ever seen a Flathead and a True Blue Catfish and a True Channel Cat you will never be fooled again. I can see confusing different bullheads and maybe a White Cat for a Channel, but thats about it. I get guys telling me that they catch Blues In central Ohio too. lol :roll_eyes: I use to try and set them straight, but just nod my head now. Whats the use breaking their bubble. :cool2::wink:

12. Katslayeroh

Katslayeroh New Member

State:
    ohio
    Fish grand lake st marys in central ohio long enough and youll be sure to catch blues. If theyre channels then weve got state record breaking fish in there at 40-50 pounds.

13. bbreitenstein

bbreitenstein New Member

State:
    Miami Township, OH
    If you go to Bass Pro Shop in Hamilton, they have both a blue and a channel in the big tank. The channel has a roundish anal fin and the blue's tail looks like someone gave it a cut.

14. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Another one I hear a lot is "I caught a blue channel".

People, to my knowledge, there is no such creature.