blues relating to baitfish????

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catcrazed, Jan 2, 2009.

1. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Just another one of those things that is driving me nuts that I can't figure out and thought id ask for some more .02 from my bros. Okay, here it is. I know that everyone always saids "find the bait, and find the blues". This is what I don't understand about that. here lately we have finally got some current and we have been catching nice size blues in deep water out in the current. I just can't believe that in say 40-60 feet of water on the bottom there are shad or other bait fish fighting the current. Sense we have finally got current back we have been able to find the shad in the creeks again thank goodness. Evan though we normally use skips in the winter its nice to be able to find the little buggers again. anyways, where we find the shad there is never anything around on our graph. I just don't believe the blues are up in the still water creeks. We have tried it before where the shad are at and struck out, then move out into deep water in the river with high current and what do you know. We start catching them. Im not saying I disagree with the saying but it sure doesnt apply to the fish we have been catching the past 3 years. I mean we turn up the sensitivity on our lowrance to see if there is bait down in the deep water and there just isnt. Its not really affecting our fishing trips but I was just curious if anyone else has thought this before.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    First off, its hard to learn things like that when you spend all your time rebuilding your kitchen!!!!:smile2:You to Randy!!!

On another note, like you I have caught blues in both locations, around bait and not around bait, in deeper water. I can say without a doubt, that the numbers, by that I mean multiple big fish in a short period have came around bait fish. The screen on the graph looked like my 3 year old took a crayon and started drawing, just the streaky lines all over the screen that inticated active fish, and they were just that, and yes there was bait present. So in theory, I would imagine that a large quantity of bait fish, would bring active fish to the area no matter what species, and timing it just right to when the blues come through there raising hell....well your guess is as good as mine???:eek:oooh:... It seems like the active blues always travel in schools, atleast in my experience, we would mark the active fish, catch a bunch in a short period of time, and then they would just vanish. All and all I agree with you 100%, finding the bait does not always find the blues for me, but if you find both of them together at the same time, HANG ON!:roll_eyes::eek:oooh:

3. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    I'll second that!

4. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    QUOTE: [catcrazed] I just can't believe that in say 40-60 feet of water on the bottom there are shad or other bait fish fighting the current.

watch your current seams!

don't take! (find the bait and find the fish) to literately! its all about the conditions the water is in, as to how you read the river!

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Steve, what would you be looking for on a river that is on the drop?

6. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    ide fish the current seams!

7. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    I really hate to sound like an idiot but what do you mean by current seams?????:tounge_out:

8. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    currents seams are where the faster water and the slower water meet out in the channel there easy to spot!

9. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    I think there are some truths to this saying. However I feel there is more knowledge to be gained that will in the end yeild more fish more often, and that is to understand the Behaviors, and the areas these fish live in. Also the conditions at a particular time, such as high or low water periods, or different moon phases, ect... Keep in mind that just because there are fish present on your sonar, it dos'nt guarantee there is bait and visa versa. I have had great success fishing Blues where no bait was present. Mostly because I learned where and when to fish, and I knew where the fish should be . Most fish are fairly easy to pattern and if you take some time you can figure out the habitat they live in at all times of the year. Bait being a key factor in finding fish. along with deep water access and structure all playing key roles in locating prime habitat. "Find the Bait, Find the fish" O.K I'll by that, but find where the fish live and the bait won't be too far away. Guaranteed. Good luck Hunting and may your rods be loaded up on every trip