Blues on the bottom or feeding in the middle?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Adam27, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Adam27

Adam27 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have been fishing the back side of Lake Norman, NC Dam heavy since last summer. I have only used bottom rigs with a heavy weight. The only bait I can get them to bite on is brim head and sometimes I only get one good fish every thrid time I go. Now one thing I have noticed is that a couple times a day they let the water out and the water flow is so fast it raises the water level sometimes in uppwards of 2 - 3 feet in seconds. I have my best luck just after the water flow stops. Is this because the Cats are feeding as my bait gets tossed around in mid water level? If so, what is my best action or rig I can use to get the bait to hang at 15-20 feet insetad of the 30-40 foot bottom. I can't anchor out in the middle, so i'll be casting out from the bank where it takes two anchors to hold me on the bank when they let the water flow.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    In Oklahoma we use a 12" slip float to keep the bait up. We just cast to the Dam and let it drift down.

3. Adam27

Adam27 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Is this a rig I can buy or something you have to make? Also, what bait are you using? And I take it, the bait hangs 12" under the water and stays at that depth?

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    You can order the 12" floats from several companys. They can be set at any depth. I use a piece of rubber band to make a bobber stop at the depth I want,add a bead to stop the floater , use a barrel swivel at end of line. You have to figure in the length of you drop off off the swivel in for total depth. I use a 4/0 or 5/0 hook. For bait we use shad, skipjack or perch. It can be whole or cut. You have to try both until you find what they are hitting.

5. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    A slip float has the line run thru it so you can set it up to to fish at a specific depth. The 12" float is 12 inches long and is sold at tackle shops and your local Wally World. You must be fishing on Mt Island are there any stripers up there yet?

6. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Adam.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    A rig common below Dardanelle Dam on the Arkansas River is to simply attach a balloon 6'-8' above the hook. But not a regular balloon; they use one of those long skinny balloons like clowns use to make animals with at parties. Blow it up so that it's about a foot long, and it gives plenty of floatation to the sinker and bait. The skinny balloon doesn't catch the air like a round balloon, so you can cast farther with it. They're using 14' long rods, so there's no need for a slip float fishing at that depth. Of course, to fish deeper, you'd need a slip float. Or if you were using a 7' or 8' rod.