Blues no longer an endangered species in Ohio

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by RiverKing, Oct 25, 2007.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
  2. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thats good to hear. hopefully a new record blue does come from ohio. thanks for posting

3. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Thats sure good news!! I didnt know they were endangered at all. Do you know why they were? rspd507

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    -I thought you was going to say that being you was going to hang up your poles for the winter that they could have a chance to recover from you tearing them up. Oh well you missed your chance. Good luck to you on catching Blues, they are fun. Later Andy

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Who is this Mike Moore guy? As far as I have read over the past thirty years Blue catfish have never been on the Ohio endangered spices list and still aren't today. West Virginia has been stocking them for several years now in the Belleville pool and that is how they got into the mouth of the Muskingum. And further why would a fish have to be endangered before a program could be funded to support it? I wouldn't believe every thing that I heard or read. :wink:

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    overpopulated!!!! they probably considered if you are catching the way you are, they must have misread a recent survey done!!!! lol.. next year, they are raising license fees, and you can buy additional urban river permits allowing 4 more than the daily bag limit!!! thanks!!!! BIG!! words from a guy that has never caught a blue!!!!!j/k....you are doing well matt, keep up the success!!! rollo

7. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Ever wondered why there is no state bluecat record?? And Mike is just the editor, the DNR officer was doing the talking in the article. Blues were endagered wether you knew it or not, this link is from the DNR site. As of september of this year, blues are no longer endagered, but a species or concern...Take a look...
    http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Home/resources/mgtplans/specofconcern/tabid/6007/Default.aspx

8. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
  9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    mike moore? i dunno him either... maybe you should contact him, and tell him you are a wiseacre.. maybe he will change his toon!:wink: rollo

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think I may have uncovered our bone of contention. I believe it lies in the fact that Ohio doesn't own the river. :big_smile:

I would like to see a Blue cat stocking program as long as it wouldn't interfere with Flathead populations. :smile2:

We need more of those flats, Rollo catches so many they are hook shy for the rest of us! lol :tounge_out:

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i would like to see those blues in the muskingum around here. lol. i know conditions aren't what they like. Can you imagine fishing structure on our narrow river with 30-50 pound blues!!!! there would be alot of zebco 33s destroyed LMAO...rollo

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    If you really want to impress me, try to catch a blue cat in the Pike Island pool of the Ohio river.

13. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    it would be nice to see ohio's blue cats make a strong comeback.

14. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The blues are endangered because pre dams, they used to be found throughout the lower waterways of the major rivers along the Ohio river up to Portsmouth, once the Ohio was dammed, there numbers dropped dramatically and only in the last 20 years have made a substantial comeback,in part due to strengthening regulations and stockings.
    According to Milton Trautman, Ohio's leading Ichthyologist from 1922-1980, here are several quotes from his Book, "The Fishes of Ohio" regarding the Blue Cat.
    "In 1975 the ODoW Introduced unsuccessfully into Indian and Buckeye Lake"

"The ponding of the river and subsequent rapid and deep silting of the bottom have largely destroyed there habitat"

"H. Ronald Preston caught none durring his 1968 investigation of the Ohio River opposite the state of Ohio but did catch individuals from the river opposite central Eastern Indiana"

It appears from the reading that in his studies, (up through 1980) only 3 "confirmed" catches were above Portsmouth and all were before the river was dammed.

None of his samples ever show any inland outside of Indian and Buckeye Lakes.

Im looking for another website that will also show a lack of Blues within the state, once I find it, ill forward it as well. This is why the state had them as Endangered and them removing/upgrading the status shows a growing population along the Ohio border.

Salmonid

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have seen 1 fish in 15 or 16yrs. in the muskingum river around 3 pounds, that i would consider it may have been a blue...and im sure it probably was caught in a tournament or fishing trip and brought back north, then later released, being caught later... it was over 10yrs. back in my early stages of knowing the difference and was looked at by many locals. no one that i know of ever specifically decided on it..do too lack of knowledge back then.. a male channel cat has been called a blue cat by many for yrs. however, this cat i do remember had some different characteristics .. not gonna say it was.. but, there is a possibility:roll_eyes: rollo