Blues biting in heat on Bull Shoals

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Wiscars, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Well we fished three nights between Aug. 6-12 below point 5 to the dam. Fished 20' and less in coves first two nights and caught small stuff and some big gar. The night of the 9th we set jugs 30'-50' in main channel cause they were running 7 generators. Caught two good blues 18 and 34lbs. Lost a bruiser 10 ft. from net that was 60+. He chewed through 50lb mono from towing jug. Good time watching that fish romp deep for 10 minutes at a time. Rerigging with Tiger wire for 10' leaders. It ties real easy and knots good in the higher test stuff. Good fun and good eats; but HOT daytime temps. Fish didn't mind the temp though if they were running those turbines late.:tounge_out:

2. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I use 200lb test braided line on noodles and large SS hooks. But always remember it's hard to hold a big fish on a short line. If the fish is not completely worn out lots pull off if you horse them. When we get a big fish and he's still green. It's not unusual for us to turn a noodle loose . Don't try to hold one , the noodle or jug will wear them down. Even if it means catching the noodle several times. Beats holding on till somethings gives or breaks. Always hate losing a big fish. I've heard guys talk about losing big fish at the boat . Some even have noodles cut into by the line cause they would'nt turn it loose.

3. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    sounds like a nice trip! What was you using for bait?

4. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    We were using Big Punkinseed Bream 4-6 Inches long on 6/0 SS Kahle hooks. Got those hooks years ago from Pflueger. Going back when it cools off a bit in Sept-Oct our favorite time for Big fish.:cool2:

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    That's absolutely right about not trying to fight a cat on a jug. They aren't always hooked very solid, and I've had several in the 15#-25# range pull off after putting no more than a few ounces of pull on the line. One of the first things I try to teach people who jugfish with me is to hold the jug with the tips of their fingers, so that if a nice cat makes a sudden run, the jug will pop out of their hands without their having to make a conscious decision to let it go. We had to let the jug go 5 or 6 times on the 34# blue we got at the last Pickwick gathering.

6. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    That is what went wrong. It was the 5th time in twenty minutes we got the jug after several releases. Too anxious when that Big white belly was roling down there. Looked like a gator coming up! Oh well. I am a catch and release jugger but between us, not by choice.:sad2: