blues and flatheads of nc

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bigcatwannabe, May 6, 2008.

1. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    guys, ive wondered for a long time and have done some research on this and i was wondering if anyone else had some thoughts, apparently blue and flathead catfish were introduced to north carolina in the pee dee river and cape fear river in the 60's and 70's. a lot of websites say that these catfish are not extremely fast growers, every one varies a little with their opinion, i personally believe that there is not a possibility for a world record out of north carolina for many years to come and i personally believe that the state record blue of 88 lbs out of badin could have possibly been one of the first fish born in the pee dee yadkin, like i said im know bioligist i just know what i read and i was curious what other people have to say

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It sounds like you are on the right track. It takes many years for these fish to grow into world records. You will more than likely have to travel to one of the major river systems to catch that fish. But I warn you ahead of time. I too am looking to catch that fish so the competition is very fierce.

I am actually surprised to hear that your record is so large. 88 lbs is quite a nice fish. That might actually be one of the early fish that was introduced into the region.

3. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    thats what im thinking, unless some of that history is just guessing, everywhere ive seen says that blues dont grow very fast

4. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That fish weighed 89 lbs. I did not weight the fish until 3 days later. The biologist said that fish would have weighed at least 95 lbs if I would have weighed him right away.

I am actually surprised to hear that your record is so large. 88 lbs is quite a nice fish. That might actually be one of the early fish that was introduced into the region.[/quote]

5. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    i'm glad you told us that, you ought to have heard some of the rumors flying around on that fish lol

6. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    wow thats a whopper hope some day someone says that to me lol

7. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    if youll read last month article in the IN FISHERMAN they done a piece on SPLASH the previuos world record blue that came out of lake texoma texas that died ,they say you have to read there anal fin magnified or thru scheletal remain, the fish weighed 124lbs. they esimated this to be 23-25 year old fish, im no biologist myself but i believe it has alot to do with there forage and water quality has alot to do with there growth ,also believe has alot to do with there gen pool

8. j simpson

j simpson New Member

State:
    nc
    I have a book on catfish and it gives lenth of fish and age and then length and how old the fish is and I have checked fish that I have caught and the lenth and ponds are right on or within a pound or so, here they are.age and length first remember this is length first time I read it I thought it was pounds because how they wrote it, age 1year-6.2 2-11.1 3-14.7 4-18.3 5-22.1 6-25.5 7-28.8 8-30.6 9-32.3 10-34.1 now length and weight length 20-2.9lbs 24-5.4lbs 28-9.5lbs 32-15.3lbs 36-23.2lbs 40-33.7lbs 44-47.3lbs 48-64.4lbs now that is the blue cats and here is the flatheads, lenth 20"-3.4lbs 25"-6.7lbs 30"-12.1lbs 35"-20.0lbs 40"-30.2llbs 45"51.3lbs 50"-70.2lbs age and length this is for the south they have north and south on flats 1 year-7.5" 2-16.3" 3-24.3" 5-27.7" 7-34.7" 9-36.3" 11-40.4" 13-44.2" 15-46.3" ok there it is hope it helps Jeff

9. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    i wouldnt go by that book because so much can affect the fish just like us were not all a certain height according to age ,in the article above if youll read it it says they have aged fish (blues) 9lbs. can be 30 years old ,and some 90 + pounders are 10- 20 years old , ,but it still has alot to do with what they eat and where there at .

10. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    i hadnt seen the article on the world record, thats good to know he was only that old, makes me wonder some more, o and these rivers and lakes grow fish much faster than the ponds so i dont know about that book either

11. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    The fish called Splash did not weigh 124 lbs though; it was the new world record that come from Alton Missouri that weighed 124 lbs. Either way Splash was a monster and that is very impressive that a fish that size grew that quickly.

12. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    your right 121lbs former world record

13. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    thats right splash survived and is at bass pro shops but the new record died in transport if im not mistaken, but did you guys see these pictures of the supposed 150 lb blue the man caught in the mississippi??? he caught it by himself and couldnt get it in the boat so he towed it to the boat ramp and had his wife take pictures and then released it, its supposed to be lagit, the fishes head looks like it is the size of his 40 horse outboard, they had an article about it in in- fisherman

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    That monster fish Britton caught last month was OLD. It had cataracts it was so old. I would say that fish was at the very least 50yrs old. I think that there are some fish over 100lbs in the Cape Fear though. Especially flatheads.

15. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    i can agree with that, that was a nice fish that you are talking about, do you have any guess on how much he might have weighed, i remember the pic

16. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i am sure there is a record in the cape fear or even in the neuse just have to be in the right place at the right time.

17. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    i have to say therres a hundred pounder lurking there somewhere if youll recall in the early to mid 90s they shocked that 108 pounder flattie on the cape fear, and there was that 96 or97 caught on a limb line in the late 90s dont no if he was released or not ,

18. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I have no idea what the weight was but I'd guess it to be somewhere around the 80+lb mark. We really didn't know just how big that thing was until we started comparing pictures of that fish and other large ones. It looks pretty close to the fish that is the current state record. I keep saying I'm going to get the other pic from Britton that shows how tall the fish was from his stomach to his back, that's the one that really shows how big it is IMO.

19. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC

Actually, Splash died and they used little bones in the ears to determine the age.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20071112c