blues and channel differace

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Jun 23, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i was fishing in talervill illinois and got an 8 pounder that was blue gray but i was told it was a channel how can u tell the differace besides the coller and a fin, i can not tell when they are small

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    the anal fin on a blue has a strait edge. you can also count the rays in that anal fin but i cant remember how many.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    theirs no yellow gold colers in blues like channel right

4. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Small channels usually have a greenish/goldish coloration and have small black spots on them kinda like freckles. Small blues are silvery/blueish with no spots. As already mentioned, channels have a more curved anal fin than a blue and a channel cats anal fin is a little shorter and has less rays than a blues. When channels get bigger they lose their spots and can turn very similar in color to a blue cat. From my experience, If you had a 20 lb. channel and a 20 lb. blue, the channel would be a little longer and leaner with a bigger head than the blue, but the blue would be fatter. Hope this helps.

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    correct! Channel cats will have 24-29 rays on the Anal fin with the outer margin rounded. Spots are not present on large fish.

Blue cats have more than 30 rays with the outer margin straight.

sometimes larger male Channel Cats are mistaken for Blues, because of their bluish apperance. counting the rays will determine what type of Catfish it is..

Hope this helps!!

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    tails on channels are forked. blues are rounded as well.

7. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I have also noticed that channels when young are meater around the dorsal fin than blues.

8. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    color can vary on both fish and so can the shape of the fins. The only way to know for sure is counting the rays in the fin. Once you see the difference in anal fin though, its quite easy to tell them apart.

9. WhiskerWayne

WhiskerWayne New Member

State:
    Yukon Oklahoma
    I caught a 32lb ChannelCat in Colorado a few years ago, I thought it was a sate record Blue for sure. The fella at the game and fish office showed me how to tell, and this post is almost his words exactly.

10. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Blue cats can actually have 30 rays, and up to 36 rays, on the anal fin. I think I knew what you meant bownero, but just wanted to clarify.

Here's a handy link showing the differences between channels and blues
    http://www.huntstats.com/catguides.html