Bluegills

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by tnkatman, Jan 10, 2007.

1. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Does Anyone Keep Bluegills In Bait Tanks Or Aquariums For Any Length Of Time For Bait, Such As During The Latter Fall And Winter Months When It Becomes Harder To Catch Them And If So How Hard Are They To Keep Alive ? I Have A 30 Gallon Rubbermaid Plastic Box That I Have About 25 Goldfish In And I'm Wondering If Could Also Keep Bluegills This Way And If So What Would I Need Special In Order To Keep Them Alive If Anything ?

2. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I don't know bluegills, but goldfish are great in tanks so use that for as bait so..

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    30 gallons isn't very big, if you're talking about a couple dozen 'gills.

I have a 150 gallon stock tank in a spot with total shade...it's half buried, too, all in the interest of keeping water temp down. One aquarium pump with a large stone gets the job done, and a sheet of plywood keeps the coons out.

4. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have a 35 gallon tank in my garage that still has 10 3-4 inch bluegill in it from last summer.I just give them some dogfood to eat every couple weeks and change the water filter as needed.My tank also has a water heater in it so it doesn't freeze.I haven't had one die yet.Good Luck!

5. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i wouldnt keep em with the goldfish thet use alot of oxygen

6. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I used to keep gills in atank-they are really easy to keep-just feed and make sure ariator is working. good luck!

7. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I am looking at getting one of those water troughs and setting up a bait tank to keep gills in so if I get ready to go fish just net out what I want and go.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think u can keep bluegills, in a tank if its done right.

9. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Gills and Crappie can and will live together in a tank if you provide the right environment.

Wheelmobile07

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I tried once in my pond but they kept jumping out , I got tired of them ending up next to the deck. though I have a shiner swimming around with my wifes pet goldfish that was left over from summer. kinda gave me an idea for spring before the water lillies take off. after that catching bait in the pond will be too annoying.

11. MaysvilleCatfish

MaysvilleCatfish New Member

State:
    kentucky
    the only diffrence in keeping goldfish compared to gills is how quickly the water becomes dirty.gills are a very dirty fish in comparison.as long as u keep the water clean, u shouldnt have any problems.

12. speeedman

speeedman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have keep gills, crappies and bass togather in a 55 gal fish tank with regular airators and filter used for tropical fish i keep about 6 5" or so in there for a long time. Fed the bass crawdads and the other fish minnows. Wild to watch the minnows go nuts when the lights went out. They knew they were fish food. Gamefish are a diffrent animal at night = like a lion on the prowl.
    Only problem I see is you could only get maybe a dozen or so in a 30 gal. Good luck