Bluegills

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by fishermanfred, May 10, 2006.

1. fishermanfred

fishermanfred New Member

What is your thought on using blue gills in a river that has no gills, would they still work? And what about frozen gills?

2. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    hmmmmm. what river has no gills? dont think id wanna be there.

3. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Ditto. I can't imagine a body of water with out some form of sunfish. If that place does exist, use them anyway. My son uses shad in a small river that has no shad naturally and does well on the cats.

4. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I don't think their is a river that doesn't have gills in it. Even though you don't catch them or see them they are there. All creeks lead to rivers, in creeks there are gills.

Frozen gills would work but live/fresh gills would be better. If you can catch lives gills to use as cut bait.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    where is this river? ......Mars?:big_smile:

6. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Ya that is something like a aint never herd. NO SUNFISH!!!!! Well even if it does not have any in it I would still think it would work. How do you think people on rivers catch flats with goldfish? Im sure there arnt too many native goldfish in our rivers.

7. fishermanfred

fishermanfred New Member

That river is the Arkansas here in central Colorado, now it is a very good trout river and if it has any gills it sure is not many, Never have I nor anybody else that I know of caught one on a fly or worm. But I have caught suckers, carp, and catfish on crawlers. Now I want to do some serious catfishing.

8. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I would try and catch some small carp or suckers to use for live bait. If it is legal use trout but I bet it is not legal. Good luck

9. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    exactly thers almost no such thing as no gills. i cant say much without copying off of the other guys. I would catch small gills like 1' or 2' and use em on the bottom

10. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Man I would be using those suckers as quick as I could get them. I was through Central Colorado last summer and drove down the Arkansas. Beautiful river over there. Is sure don't look like it does here. But, back to the subject. The suckers and carp would make real good cut bait or use the smaller suckers alive.

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    for the longest time (i was 10 or 11 till 13) the river by my house produced no blugills or anything like that for me... all i caught were trout, chubs and smallmouth bass out of it... I think i wasn't fishing the right areas or something... i had seen fish that looked like bluegills but passed them off as just small smallies... It took till one day when i laid my rod down to take a piss for one to finally bite my line... lol there are some in this river but not as many as there are chubs, shiner and stonerollers... or atleast not where i fish in it...

They work well for bait live, dead, whole, cut up... doesn't matter... channels with slam them as will blues if there isn't an over abundence of other bait thats easier for them to grab... and Flats love bluegills... or atleast so i'm told...

12. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Fish the bluegills. I've fished up and down the river here for years and hardly ever caught a perch, but they're there. They're abundant in the feeder creeks, and the cats will hit em. Some folks here swear by sunfish, and won't fish with bluegills, and others like bluegills, so I'd say fish with what you've got, and come up with your own conclusion, but both will work.

13. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    The bluegills should work fine. I would use a bait that they are chasing/eating everyday. If the suckers and carp are more plentiful and easier to catch then that is what I would use. The main thing to remember is don't be afraid to try a variety. I often have at least three baits to choose from whenever I go catfishing.

Some of the natural baits I find within 1/8 mile of my favorite TOP SECRET fishing spot. Shad, Skipjack, Bluegills, Crawdads, Cataulpa worms(planted the trees myself) Nightcrawlers, Blue minnows, Creek chubs, suckers, carp. The point being that the fish have plenty of choices and catfish tend to feed continuosly so if you are not getting bit try something different.

14. fishermanfred

fishermanfred New Member

Thanks for all the input, Now I have to go over the brush hollow res. and catch some gills.

15. fishermanfred

fishermanfred New Member

Oh yes, by the way this river has some BIG brown trout.

16. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    If it is legal to use trout, I would give them a try. I'd probably just use it as cut bait. Bluegill/sunfish are my favorite cutbait, and they make great live bait for flatheads!!!

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I never thought about it before, but I regularly fished several small streams and rivers (creek sized) where I never saw a sunfish. A couple of these really small streams were full of 4"-8" brook trout, with an occasional larger brook or rainbow; since I was using a very small Mepps spinner, if sunfish were present, I should have caught one occasionally.