Bluegills vs shad

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by fishingrl636, Aug 15, 2007.

1. fishingrl636

fishingrl636 New Member

State:
    Lake Eufaula,OK
    Lately I'v ben getting into a lot more bluegill/sunfish. I dont hav a livewell in my boat so it's a lot of work keeping them alive in this heat. So my question 2day is whether u think cut bluegill or cut shad is better? They r fresh, but dead. The shad r small and the bluegill 2 big 2 use whole.

Thanks for ur comments.
    -fishingrl

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I would say shad hands down..ALot of people use cut bluegill, but i never have any luck with it..Its not oily enough...You cant go wrong with cut shad. Now I have had alot of luck with live bluegill...

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    There is no such thing as a blue gill that is too big. The only time I use bluegill is when I'm targeting flatheads. Then I like them alive and about hand size!

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Both work well.

5. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I'd say what ever the fish are most heavily feeding on.

6. shovelheadfanatic1

shovelheadfanatic1 New Member

State:
    ohio
    shad heads for the river and bluegills for paylakes

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    At one of my favorite spots, I usually catch mostly blues, with an occasional channel, using shad or skipjack. Once, when I didn't have my regular bait, I tried cut bream, and all I caught were some channels.

8. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We have been experiencing some bad heat and we have found putting ice and those little tablets you can get from any bait shop keeps our gills alive and kicking very well and for hours. I mainly think its the ice to keep them cool. :big_smile:

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've had my best luck on the Ohio river with bluegill heads. Not caught a thing on shad this year!

10. JKeeney20

JKeeney20 New Member

State:
    Lucasville, Ohio
    If its being cut "SHAD" 99% of the time! Now if its alive I take my chances with the big gills, they stay alive longer for me! Just my 2 cents!

11. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i usally use blue gilll heads but shad r good too

12. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My first choice would be live bluegill,but if you cant keep them alive i would use the shad.

13. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have actually had my best luck with cut gills. of course i have limited access to shad, but cut gills have always produced for me.

14. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i swore by bluegill heads for a long time but earlier this year i guy i met bank fishing gave me some skipjacks, they were dead did not even cut um and did real good with them so i dont know my biggest have been with bluegill heads, but i more on skipjacks but they are small right now. when they get a little bigger they mey have me hooked

15. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    LoL, Well brothers I've caught pretty nice on both so i guess what my deciding factor is is what i can catch or get at the bait store

16. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Bluegill hands down. most of the cats i have caught were on bluegill weather it was the head. or a nice lively one. shad also work good but i rarely get them to fish with.