??? Bluegills vs. Creek Chubs ???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by river_rat_42, Sep 7, 2006.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I had posted a few days before a big over-night fishin' trip on the Ohio, about what bait i should use for flatties. Almost every single person said bluegill somewhere in their post. Well, I caught about 9 or 10 bluegill/sunfish (all of which were between 3-5in. long) and a couple of nice chubs from the creek a few hours before the trip. I kept them alive for the trip so that I wouldn't have to use cut bait. I know how flatties like their baitfish alive. Anyways, the point is, me and my buddy only got like two or three runs on our clickers no hook-ups usin that bluegill. But, I threw out a creek chub and caught a nice 11lb. blue in just a couple of minutes. Then my buddy threw out one and caught a lil' ol' 7lb. channel. Do you think it is because bluegill are not a very common food source for catfish in the river (I don't think so anyways)? Or do you think it matters? Oh, and also, which do you prefer for just catfish in general (all species) bluegill or creek chubs??? THANKS FELLAS:big_smile:

2. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I think it realy matters on the body of water you're fishing and what type/kind of baitfish are in it. In the ohio river I personaly would use shad. Both baits you described are excellent for catching catfish. If you are after flatheads it's kinda a different story fishing from the bank. If you were after flatheads with the bluegills it sometimes is a long wait between hits. Flatheads aren't the scavengers that blues and channels are. The runs you had without hookups could very well be gar. Gar are very hard to hook into because of all the bone in the mouth area. If you are after channels and blues then I would recomend cutting your bait up. Use everything but the tails. Bluegill heads are dynamite for large channels and you can't go wrong with cut creek chubs. For me its 50/50 gills and chubs are equal in how good they work for cats. It all depends on what the cats want. Just like this last week. I couldn't catch a flaty on a bluegill for nothin, but we had a 30# flat hit a piece of cut gill about the size of a quarter. I wouldn't rule out one bait for the other. You are doing the right thing by changing up baits. If they aren't hitting on one then change to another until you find what works. Same goes for location, if they aren't hitting here then move. Good luck next time.

3. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Just rereading your post. The size of bluegill (5") plays into effect here also. A bluegill is round and flat shaped, this somewhat limits the size of cat that is able to eat it. A 2 or 4 pound blue or channel might have problems getting a large gill in his mouth all the way but he will still hit it. What happens is the cat grabs the gill in his lips and runs with it. Your hook isn't in his mouth yet but your clicker's zingin. You set the hook on nothing!!! (just like you said, runs but no hookups) You might wanna wait till he stops running and let the cat eat the bait a little more. Or try using smaller gills 2" to 3". Now a chub is long and slender and a cat of any size has no problem getting it into his mouth all the way (reason you had luck with them).
    But again, don't rule out a large lively gill. A 5 pound flatty WILL eat a 6" gill.

4. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Well I Firmly Believe In Using What They Are Used To Eating, Rivers Usually Means Chubs,suckers, Cut Shad, Cut Carp.

Ponds. Bluegills,goldfish,cut Baits,bullheads. Lol

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have had good luck on both Bluegills and Chubs. It usually comes down to for me what I'm able to get my hands on. Ideally it's nice to have a variety of live baitfish. If your river has White Bass, Crappie, Perch or Bullhead these are also very excellent bait choices!!!

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Chubs are very good bait if you can get them. I would put them higher on the list then a bluegill. Think about this. What one do you think is easier to digest? The soft body of a chub or the harder body of a bluegill? It's why I think shad and other small scaled soft fish are such good bait. When using cut carp for blues around here I like to use the big head and silver carp. Small scales vs. the big scales of say a grass or common carp.

7. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    i have had nights on the river where i could only get a bite on bluegill, then nights where i could only get a bite on chubbs, nights i could only get a bite on shad..then i have had nights were i couldnt get a bite on anything but cut bait...Im not sure what to make of all of that except sometimes they prefer one bait over another...I caught a 68 and 50 on live gill 2 weeks in a row, the last 2 times, i havent caught anything on live gill....Its hard to keep up them fish...LOL

8. MNwiskers21

MNwiskers21 New Member

State:
    South Saint Paul, MN
    Hello Everyone,

Well I live in Minnesota and useing other fish for bait is illegal, the only actual fish that can be use hear is bullheads. I personally prefer useing chunks of dead creek chubs for channels, and about 6inch bullheads for flatheads.

Take Care Everyone!

Sincerly, Kevin

9. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Yeah bluegills are illegal to use as bait here in Minnesota, but I have had lots of success with chubs. Just as the previous posts mentioned, having a variety of bait at your disposal is key. Sometimes they want chubs, sometimes they want bullheads, etc.

10. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    personally for me i've had better luck in lakes n ponds with bluegills.i've had good hits on chubs but i would go with chubs in the ohio

11. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio

12. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I had my best and biggest fish on creek chubs last year.... i just think that because creek chubs are more likly to stay in the shallower water year round that its a delicasy, because most places creek chubs get into a big ol flat cant fit.... But this is just my feelings on this.... But you still cant beat a good gill..

13. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    By the way Welcome to the BOC Adam.....

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I agree 110% the softer chubs green sunfish shad and sutch will make a far better live bait than a bluegill. if Im using a blugill for live bait its gonna be a small one 4 or less but Ill use the biggest chubs and green sunfish i can find. a bullhead with the spines snapped off would probally be better than a gill.

15. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the info guys.