Bluegills that aren't picky

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by C_wernett, Jan 17, 2008.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It's always fun to see just what a fish will eat, and sometimes it will surprise you. For instance, the other day my buddy and I had done some fishing in a salt creek, and decided to try for some white cats and bullheads in the top of a fresh creek. Well, we brought some cut bait and shrimp from one creek to the next.

Fishing decent sized pieces of shrimp, I caught one nice bully, and then had a couple of pretty agressive hits that I didn't hook up with at first. Well, a few minutes and some patience later, I landed about a 7" bluegill with a piece of shrimp in its mouth so big, I have no idea how it got it in there! Well, not 10 min. later I start getting 'gill hits again, let him take it again and sure enough, but this ones a staggering 5"!!! Must have been real hungry...and lucky, because we were done needing cutbait at that time. :wink:

2. 1442ncs

1442ncs New Member

State:
    Muhlenburg, KY
    Back in the summer we were bass fishing at night on a pit and got to catching gills on 5/8 jitter bugs. They were about the best ones iI ever caught. They were the big 1/2 pounders. Wasn't many but enough for some good eatin'.

3. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    i have caught my biggest gill to date on a west river spoon silver front copper back , a rather large but light spoon . he managed to get one of the treble through his top lip .

4. channelcathunter64

channelcathunter64 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    it the same where i fish, those bluegill will hit about anything u put in the water

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    And the thing of it is id say pound for pound the bluegill is the toughest fighting fish in fresh water.

6. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    You sure you don't mean 1/4 pound for 1/4 pound! I enjoy catching gills too. I think it takes at least some skill to do it regularly, and I enjoy it, because I can do it regularly!

7. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    one time we were fishing for bass in a local pond back in SC. i was using a bass assain (the 5 inch model) and i caguth a huge gill on it. it didnt have the lure in its mouth but somehow it got the hook in there. i have caught gills on chicken liver as well as shrimp. i even caught one on a piece of cut gill one time.

8. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I have caught them on them little marshmellow power baits.:eek:oooh:

9. JKitterman

JKitterman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't think I have ever seen a picky bluegill. As a kid, I stole corn, marshmallows, bread and everything else I could think of from the kitchen and used it as bait. Worms and grasshoppers, etc.

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have caught them on a variety of baits as well, the strangest of them being a tiny piece of styrofoam from the nightcrawler container.. ran out of worms, used a tiny piece of that, maybe it mimicked a wax worm? who knows!! lol..rollo

11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Glad to see that you all were able to find 'gills. I am hoping to get out and stock up a little before spring rolls around. Im gonna be ready for the flatties this year!:wink:

12. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    We ran out of bait when we were kids and started using mulbarries from a near by tree. They worked!
    Bill

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I haven't done it but some guys who were catfishing with me have caught some really, really big bluegills and shellcrackers on whole jumbo shrimp and 3/0 hooks! I've caught bass on cutbait at Sutton and I've caught bluegills on 7in Power Worms and the largest gill I ever caught 2lb 3oz was caught on a 1/8oz Rattle Trap, probably caught 10 gills over 1 1/2lbs that day. Fish are opportunistic and if you put something remotely edible in front of them they'll probably take it.

14. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah, but the fish in that lake are freaks anyway! lol I've never seen bluegills and shellies anywhere else as big as the ones we've caught out of there. Jay and I had a week were the smallest "not bait" ones we targeted were still over 11". We were catching all of them on whole crawlers on 3/0 cirlces.

15. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Its amazing what a fish will eat when their hungry, I have seen picky blugill up at dunbar cave hear in clarksville tn.

16. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    yeah, when i was a kid we use to go catch "eater" gills for my greatgrandfather since he loved them. We would catch the bigger one on a Mepps Aglia and in some tanks would catch 20+ big ones in a couple hrs.
    In the big lakes here the gills seem to be really picky, u gotta use a small worm or grasshopper and put it by some structure, i think these lil gills now are too afraid of yella cats gettin them.

17. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    When we were catching bait out there this past summer my buddy McLean hooked the biggest shellcracker I've ever seen, it was probably 3+lbs. It came up on top and dove back down and broke 6lb test, not that's a friggin' panfish!! Usually every time we're catching bait we get one that's atleast 3/4-1lb.

18. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Up on the rivers and creeks around here the gills, crackers, and redbreats can get real picky at times. I've figured them out good enough were I can usually bag a couple for bait when needed, but during the summer I think the catfish, gar, and bowfin have them so shook up that they are hard to locate at times. That's when I switch to the size 10 hooks and redworms or 1/64 oz. feather jigs tipped with a bit of redworm. For some reason I just can't bring myself to fish with crickets. Grasshoppers, all day, but not crickets.

19. Drjets

Drjets New Member

State:
    ND
    Are blue gills really blue?

20. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I use small pieces of hotdogs or bologna and usually catch all the bait sized bream I need. Found out that they worked one day when I was camping and ran out of worms.