Bluegills on circle hooks

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by C_wernett, Mar 18, 2006.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Who else here has been fishing for 'gills on circle hooks? I've started using circle hooks from size 6 down to 10's depending on the size of the fish I'm catching. I fish them on my light and ultra light rods with a sliding rig, 1/4 oz. bell or egg sinker depending on current, and 12"-18" leader. Works really good, especially for the big ones, as the extra weight can get you longer casts into the spots without spooking them as bad. For the big ones I fish a whole nightcrawler. If the little boys abound, I downsize my weight, go to ultralight, and just have a blast.

This also works good for catching bait 'gills for flatheads, as there are very few gut hookings and therefore keeps he bait alive and healthy longer!

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I found they work great for crappie fishing also. I bought 20 packs of size 6 and 15 packs of size 4 snelled Eagle Claw hooks at Dicks for .39 cents a pack. They stopped carrying them at that store.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use Owner Mosquito hooks size 6 or 8. They work great.

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I use Circles Hooks for Bluegills.

My friend, Phil (Deltalover), turned me on to them last year (2005). They work great. :) I'll will try to use them ever time I go fishing for Gills for now on. :)

:0a23:
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I first used them with a buddy in the sound fishing for drum/tarpon/whatever we could catch. But then in the past year started using them on cats and have just loved them. Then once just by some chance we found those red Owner size 6's...and we were using them on channels and bass. I was trying to catch carp when we started catching the big 'gills and shellies. Since then we've continued to hunt down and downsize our circles for more taget specific fishing. And 'gills are so eager to hit a bait and go, that on the right rig it simplifies things a lot! By the way, is there anything more anoying than getting a hook out of a bluegills throat?:p

6. Noodlejug

Noodlejug New Member

State:
    st. louis
    I just bought two hundred circles on line they called them # 1 and #3.
    I wanted some smaller ones they looked smaller in the pic and the package but now you guys got me wondering . maybe be cuase they are imported ?

7. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    What size is best and which ones in BPS or Cabala's do you use? Maybe Wal-Mart has some? Hook size in circle hooks is so different from regular hooks that I need some help. Use them all the time in saltwater but have never tried them in sweetwater. Hard to find small ones.

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Circle hooks are a blast for panfish! I have used size 6 to 8 with great sucess!
    I stocked up several years ago, with owner circle hooks that I got from a member (captain Frank)! I dont often find the small sizes in tackle shops around here! I will be looking to stock up again soon! The only thing I dont like about circles is, how hard it is to put a worm on!

9. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    Forgot to ask if they work when using a cork? Is there enough resistance? My wife will not fish without a cork, likes to watch it go under.

10. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    They work great for Bluegills. We use them with a bobber all the time. Hardly ever have one gut hook these days. We uses size 6 eagle claws and they work great. In fact in my opinion that's about all a circle hook is good for. LOL

11. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    This dont have to do with catching bluegill but i couldnt find the right post for it. I just bought a 5 pack of Gama. Circle hooks 7/0 for like 2.69. How do i use these things? I hear u dont have to set the hook? Just start reeling?

12. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I use them (circle hooks) with a slip bobber! They work great either way, but I perfer with a slipbobber! Sometimes perch wont bite with a bobber on though. If I am not getting any bites, I'll try without bobber. Seems to work better in swift current!

13. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    Never used in sweetwater but have used a lot in saltwater. Don't jerk, just let the fish pull down and tighten up, then just start reeling, don't jerk or try to set the hook. My best method on big fish,with that size I'm guessing you are talking about catfish.

14. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    catman. it is hard to break the habit but you should not set the hook on circles. If anything a slow sweep sideways will ensure a hook set. If you jerk the hook it does not set correctly. Also remember to never put the tip of the hook into bait, leave it exposed. Good luck!

I want to try circles on bluegill. When fishing with a bobber, do you just start reeling in or what?

15. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I could see it working on a slip bobber, just tighten up the line, reel, and sweep the rod back. You'd almost have to use a slip bobber though in order to make sure you have the right amount of tension to turn the hook. With 'gills it's not as much of an issue unless you are using ultra lights on big slabs, but I've encountered situations with cats where my drag was set too loose and the hook didn't get the right tension to turn and set, there in resulting in a lost fish. Shoot, I caught a couple of 10 inchers last weekend on a #10 Octopus circle with hole nightcrawler fished on my bottom shelly slider rig, not to mention some hard fighting bowfin. Which was a blast on light and unltrlight gear!