Bluegills: live or cut for channel catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kyron4, Jun 28, 2006.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I got half a dozen bluegills in my bait tank around 3"-4". Going out to the resivior this weekend, mainly channels out there. What's better used live or cut ? -Thanks

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Either or both. Have caught many on live and many on cut. Doesn't matter to me except cut is easier to transport. I only catch live now at my destination. My bait in the tub is likely to die of old age LOL!

3. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    definately cut bluegills for channels. you can cut the head off and just put that on the hook or you can chunk or filet the blugill and use that. also, if you're using smaller bluegill, you can put several deep cuts on both sides of the bait and put the whole thing on your hook. try a bit of everything and see whats working.

4. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Have to agree with mdudes17 on this one. 'Gill heads seem to work really well for channels.

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    For that size i almost always use them whole and live.

But then again I catch a lot of largemouth bass that way and don't mind that one bit.

6. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    kyron4 i use cut bluegill is best for chanells id say...but if your going for flatties use whole.:big_smile:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have read, that channels like there bait better if its dead, so I would try both. Lets us know how it turns out.

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Cut Gills are a great bait. Like many have said, the head is the best part for me it seems like.

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    YES

lol both will work... try them out live and as they die cut them up... channels will take them either way... I tend to like live only because i think it brings larger fish in...but i've caught some good sized fish on both live and cut bluegills

10. mudman

mudman New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have had the most luck with bluegill heads than any other part.:cool2:

11. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That size I always just step on it to get the guts coming out and throw it out but seems I get alot of turtles. HMMM might have figured out something there thanks.

12. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Can't go wrong with them either way. If I had more than one rod I would vary it and rotate them. Keep them live on one rod and use them for cut bait on the others as they die. Then switch to what is working. Keeping them live does bring in the larger and more aggressive fish, IMO.

13. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    iv used them cut and alive. alive mostly for flatheads but have caught many 10 - 15 pound channel cats.i usually use cut but dont catch as big of ones on cut

14. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i have cought channels on cut and on whole live gills....but if u use whole u have more of a chance of catching a flattie but i have cought flats on cut gills lol so kinda just try both which ever works keep on using it :)

Jeff

15. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When I use cut bluegill I always seem to nail some gar. For that reason I prefer whole fish, live. They seem to work better for me if I scale one side.

16. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    If you want bigger fish use them live. Cut them up for the smaller ones.

17. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I've recently started using bluegills some and have had better luck with cut. I'm by no means a expert though.

18. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Great advice guys! I agree with most. They both work, but bluegill heads I think works the best.

19. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I prefer to use cut up gills for channels. I have caught several 7-9 pound channels on them. I also use the bluegill heads for flatheads when live gills are not getting the job done.