Bluegills, kids, and worms

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 9, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I thought Id share this with you all it might help get some kids hooked on fishing. A couple years ago I was nominated to help 25 2nd graders go fishing!! Well the minute I got the news the nightmare of keeping hooks baited, kids standing in line for worms, my mind reeling and sweat pouring off my head, I headed to garage to think!!! Then it hit me!!! I went to town and bought 200 bluegill hooks and 6 dozen of crawlers. Well 30 minutes later I had them all baited up and in plastic bags and in the fridge!! Each future fisherperson the next day was rigged up with leader with snap. They formed a line and the bait was put on in less than 5 seconds!!! The kids spent time fishing rather than waiting to be baited up!!! Next time you take kids fishing try this little trick!! Happy fishing to all and remember take a kid or some kids fishing not only just your children. :smile2:

2. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    That's a great idea....I just finished taking two kids bream fishing w/gulp worms......It still took me an hr before I could bait my cat rod....They were jerking em out as fast as I could bait up.....Dwight

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    now thats smart thinking!

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    now thats smart thinking! kudos

5. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the information, I love seeing the smiles and reactions of kids fishing, but it can quickly turn to frowns if they can't get baited up in time to get back at it. This might help with that.

6. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Good idea. My brother and I every 4th of July take about 6 to 8 kids aging from 5 to 11 bream fishing at Lake Murray. I know what it's like to have them all wanting bait at one time LOL. And taking the fish off the hook LOL. We kinda got a system though. We bait up 10 rods , My brother does the casting then hands the rod to one of the kids (normally youngest to oldest) then as they catch a fish they hand the rod with fish to me to take off and re-bait. My brother just grabs one of the spare baited rods and we keep the circle going. All the kids must enjoy it because they keep coming back. Over the years new kids join in as the older ones become teens. Now the teens go catfishing with us and a few have boats of their own. Can't wait till they start taking kids fishing too. There is nothing in the world like the smile of a child.