Bluegills for sale in Ohio!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Fatkat, May 6, 2006.

1. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I stopped by the baitshop last night to pick up some Izzys and I noticed they had a sign that said they now have Bluegills for sale. The guy that runs the baitshop said they just passed a law here in Ohio that it is now legal for him to sell them for bait, but he has to buy them from 1 certain place. I try to catch all my own Gills for bait but its good to know if I strike out or don't have time I can now buy them. I think he said they was $11 per Dozen. :smile2:

If there is already a thread on this subject, sorry I couldn't find one.

2. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    That's a new one to me. I'd like to read that law.

3. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Never heard of such a thing. Like you I catch my own my bud lives on a private lake so I can get all I need all sizes. I would be intrested in some live bullheads that's the choice for flats here in WI I can get them but it's out of the way to my fishin spots .

4. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    i would too like to read that law,i have more than one spot i catch my gills at but i have never heard of it being legal to sell them.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I don't think I would pay that much for a dozen bluegill when I could go out and spend the 11.00 dollars on gas and catch as many as I want. Seems a bit high for bait to me. And catching bait is almost as fun as catching what you are going to use them for, LOL!!

6. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    thats my thoughts on it. good if you decide to go fishing at the last minute. but my $11 can be spent on better things. plus like dreadnaught said it is sometimes fun catching bait.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Have not heard about that law in Ohio. Guess we will find out soon enough.

8. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I'm thinking like JW,I can spend that money on steak and gas ,and catch my own bait.
    :still_dreaming:

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    me too! i told the game warden about a place that was selling bluegills about 5 years ago, the owner said something similar to that too. next time i went back...no bluegills! i just informed the dnr about someone else here recently, maybe thats why they havent gotten back with me? i sure hope if it is legal they keep it to ONE supplier. back "in the day" our local creeks were overun with commercial bait hunters and you couldnt catch a chub, shiner, or sucker to save your life. id hate to see bluegills go the same way!

10. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I catch my own Gills for bait also, I thought the price was pretty high to. I also agree with Dink I think it would be best to keep it to one supplier.

I'm not very good finding these type of things on the internet, can anyone give me some advise on where to find this law if it is in fact true? I went to ohiodnr.com and couldn't seem to find it. :confused2:

11. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I agree, There is nothing quite like going to the river with no bait and relying on ones own ability to catch some bait (I use small gold spoons) and put that little catch on a hook and catch the next thing in the food chain.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Interesting. I did a search of the Ohio fishing regulations put online by the Ohio DNR, and couldn't find a mention of bluegill. Not listed as a species in Ohio, no size or limits listed, no prohibitions of any kind, nothing. As far as the Ohio regs are concerned, there's no such fish.

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    heck, sometimes i think collecting bait is MORE fun! i wade creeks most of the time hunting bait and its a blast catching chubs and gills on ultralight equipment. i have caught myself not wanting to quit and having WAY too much bait, and having a 1 mile walk back to my truck. there are folks around here that will pay 11.00 a dozen or more for gills, 3 inch goldfish go for $12-$13 a dozen at a couple places. it amazes me sometimes when i have other catfishermen ask me how do you catch gills and chubs:confused2: i dont like the idea of letting bait dealers selling 'gills, or any wild baitfish for that matter!

14. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Well down here in Cincinnati i was at a bait store last year called Fehrmanns in northside and talked with the owner he said the same thing new laws allowed him to sell them Blue gills as bait.But what shocked me was they also sell Channel cats for bait and he said it was legal cant think of the price he had on them but some guys bought them while i was there.

15. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
  16. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if gills are farm raised, i have no problem with the idea. now if they are captured from the wild by a "commercial" bait hunter, then i have a problem! i rank those commercial "creek rapers" right up there with the buisnesses that capture cats from the wild to stock at pay-lakes! SCUM!

17. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The link to the page I found is over 3 yrs. old so I doubt it is very up to date,but I still haven't found anything else yet.You would think if they changed the law there would be something out there about it.

18. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    If I get a chance in the next couple days I'll try to stop by there and ask him some more about it. Maybe he will tell me where I can find some info on it.

19. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    The bait store next to Dillon sells bluegills for a buck a piece.

20. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    i know of bait shops in the muskingum area, that have sold gills for years.