Bluegills for dinner in Michigan

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Sparky Larson, May 24, 2006.

1. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    You Flathead fisherman are going to eat your hearts outs. I went flyfishing this morning and caught about two doz. gills. I only kept 7. Six of them were 8" and one was 9". I'm sure alot of you fellas use that size for bait, but me, those are the ones I keep to eat.

Sal, those rubber spiders you tied for me worked great! All the big gills I caught were Males, so I didn't disrupt the spawning females.

So, needless to say, I got fresh gill filets for dinner, along with some venison steak and a little cole slaw. Thats a true Up North Marlette wild Surf & Turf dinner. A couple cold beers Pool side, it just doesn't get any better than that.

Anyone been out fishing?
    Sparky

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    sparky,

I have 6 or 7 new patterns for gills. Some ole timer at the local fly shop heard that I like targeting gills with a fly rod and just about jumped out of his skin trying to give these to me. I showed him my pattern and he said mine is great for sunshine... now these are great for cloudy days, rainy days, and when nothing else works.

Im going to mass produce em soon... Ill set ya up again.

Maybe by the time you and I actually fish together this year, Ill have em done.

Tonight Im gonna take my wife and the boat out for 2006 test run #1. We're gonna go see how it handled the winter in da U.P. under my brother's care.
    Tomorrow I will also be posting my pics from Don's/Vic/my trip a few weeks ago. Theyre in Rite Aid right now.

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    New gill flies sound great Sal. In return, I was going through some fishing tackle of an old friend of mine and came across some great looking Muskie lurers. Being as you fish for those and I don't, I think they might have found a new home.
    Sparky

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Well sparky, Im not gonna turn down a gift....

But in the same breath, I can just as surely take you out for muskies as easily as I can take you out for kitties. :) As long as we're ripping lips, Im a happy camper. Especially big lips... teeth or not.

I'll get on those flies here soon.

SAL