Bluegills for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Little Luey, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I know bluegills are good bait for the big cats, but everytime I catch bluegills they swallow the hook all the way in, by the time I get it out they are badly wunded, I use a #6 hook and corn or pieces of nightcrawler.
    How do I keep the bluegills from swallowing the whole hook and keep them alive?

2. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    To start off with, how are you fishing for bluegill? Are you jigging, or bobber fishing. If you set the hook properly you should get them on the mouth.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Not to sound mean but if they are bait why does it matter if they swallowed the hook???

I would just cut the line and put them on another hook :big_smile: , or I would cut them up and use as cutbait

4. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I use a bobber, I usually take the kids out for gills and as you can imagine I go from one to the other, not a lot of time for me to do any jigging. I figure they can catch the gills I will take later for night fishing.

I did not think about using the gills with the hooks in them, BTW that was not mean, thanks for the idea.

5. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Ok, let me ask another question,

how do you know when to set the hook while bobber fishing? (I know, I am very green) when I set the hook I loose many fish so I just let them hook themselves, but my landed fish ratio is very poor. It seems like I am taking the hook away from them; so I just waith until the bobber is under the water, if it is just getting pulled down I don't know what to do. I put the worm well in to the hook with very little hanged worm.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    When I fish for Bluegills I use a small slip float and circkets for bait, and a no 6 hook. I have never had a gut hook bluegill with a no 6 hook.

7. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I hate it when they swallow the hook. That usually means that I have to stop and tie another hook on. I know, I'm lazy. I started using cricket hooks. They have a really long shank which I can get ahold of with the pliers. I used to use small hooks but they swallowed them too easily. I also found that if you don't set the hook soon enough then they swallowed it more, too. If the bobber goes all the way under then I set the hook. I also watch for the bobber to swim off. If it starts moving steadily then I set the hook. I still get a few that are gut hooked but a lot less than I used to.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Luey, I use long shank j hooks, usually 6/0. You will get the knack of when to set the hook, but even the best of us still get one that swallows it all the way down. Like Ryang said just cut your line and retie. Now as for your kids doing the fishing for you the best thing to help with this problem is circle hooks. They are the best thing made for kids and hook swallowing gills. Just ask Cornhusker.:big_smile:

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're after larger bluegills, you can use a circle hook, which will catch most of them in the corner of the mouth. But, they don't make circle hooks small enough for the smaller bluegills, say, 3"-4". I like that size because blues will hit them as well as flatheads. Once I find an area where there are lots of the little bait stealing critters, I use a small, long-shanked cricket hook with a very small splitshot about 3" above it; a float to help determine depth. Drop the bait in the right spot, and immediately start pulling it slowly. Not only can you watch your float, but more importantly, you can feel the bite. At that point, you simply start pulling faster, just like you would do with a circle hook. I still deep-hook the occasional bream, but not nearly as many. If the bream are close and plentiful, you can eliminate the float, but I find it a help most of the time. A single maggot will attract the little bait stealers, but not provide so much bait that they can eat without getting hooked. Contrary to what many people think, maggots are very tough skinned, so you can usually catch several bream on one maggot. Once the insides of the maggot are gone, leaving just the skin, tear it off and put on a new maggot.

10. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    Her is how I catch gills. When using a bober use a Gamakutsa "CIRCLE hook, I use size 6-8. When the bobber begins to move/going under, raise rod tip up and start reeling. Don't set the hook like you would with a "J" hook.

Since I have went to the small circle I never gut hook a gill. It doesn't matter what kind of bait you use as long as the point of the hook is exposed. Give it a try and you will never gut hook a gill again.

(I can't take credit for this tip, I got it from another Bro. on the old board)

11. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks guys, I will try your sugestions.

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    try a silghtly bigger hook, like size 1 or 2, i use the baithoders so it is easier to keep little piece of worm on. Another idea is to use ultra light tackle and toss a 1/2" pice of worm on a #6 hook weighless and no bobber. Wait for a change in the way line is going down then set hook softly.

13. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Little Luey
    Like the other Jerry said small long shank J hooks, small bobber. Cast it out and immediately start reeling back slowly, if you let it stop they swallow it, keep it coming, seems to work fine. Luck

14. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Great ideas guys. Now I have to go get some new hooks and maybe even a light action rod.

15. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Try using a bobber and a small circle hook with your preference of bait. That's what I use and I use Gills almost exclusively as bait without any gut hooks or problems.

16. KScatwoman

KScatwoman New Member

State:
    Wichita, KS
    I switched over to a badly damaged trout fly (hook was good, fly's hackle was shot lol) tipped with a teeny wiggly bit of worm, with a bobber only to gauge depth and a small split shot about 6" up from the hook. I drop it in straight down until I start getting bites- usually no deeper than 24", then simply lift the pole when I feel a nibble. Once you start getting bites, you're in the "sweet spot" as they're usually in giant swarms. I lose very few fish that way, a lot less than using a bobber (gills hit fast and will nip the bait off in an instant) and you can get even the dinkiest lil' bait stealin rascals this way.

In fact, I caught one last night that was two inches (at the most LOL). He died on the ride home, otherwise I would have put him in my aquarium- it was an orangespotted sunfish, and VERY pretty I might add...hope I can snag a couple more of 'em! :big_smile:

17. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    try a longer shanked hook.

18. The_Mad_Catter

The_Mad_Catter New Member

State:
    Erie, Colorado
    When I go out to catch gills i either use my fly rod or i just throw a fly under a red and white. works like a charm in the evenings

19. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks everyone, I will try your sugestions.

Has anyone tried the sponge spiders? they are about 1/2" and the body is like a sponge, and the legs are like a small rubberband.

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Louey,Like others have said use a #6 with a long shank and get a pair of Hemostats from bass pro or wally world, they are smaller than pliers and you can clip them to your shirt till needed. I also use the long thin floats (about as big around as a pencil) and no weight on the line except the float. It will lie flat on the water so get ones that are bright white and red or green so you can see them. As soon as you see it move or make ripples pull it a foot or so. They almost always have the bait it thier mouth. No need for hard hooksets. If you wait for them to pull the float under they have swallowed the bait. Don't wad the worm on the hook and make a ball, Try to feed the hook through the length of the worm like putting on a sock. And don't over load the hook just about an inch of worm is needed. Try these and I bet you will catch more gills.