Bluegills for bait?

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by CatHunterSteve, May 28, 2009.

1. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    In the state of Virginia is it legal to use bluegills for bait? Do they have to be caught on a fishing pole or other means? I know they seem to be one of the better baits to use for flatheads and I didn't know what the regulations say....Any help?
    :embarassed:

2. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Yes they are legal, they must be caught by hook.

3. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    and just remember the bigger the bait the bigger the catch:big_smile:

4. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Yes bluegills and sunfish are legal to use, You have to catch them by Hook and Line, ONLY. No nets, seines or traps. And Your only allowed 50 per person...

5. CatHunterSteve

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Thanks guys you have just made my day, and to think I have depriving all those monsters a free meal! I am so glad I found the BOC and thanks for allowing me to ask questions and not feel stupid!

6. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I see your from C-burg. You must be fishing the new or Claytor? My best advice is to get you some live Green Sunfish and go for it. also, some nice cats down here at Smith Mtn lake too....

7. CatHunterSteve

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Yea Travis I fish Calytor and the New also go down the the Staunton river every spring, hope to get a big blue down there, I don't think we have Blues in Claytor, at least that is what some of the marina staff on the lake say.
    What's a Green Sunfish?

8. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    No blues in claytor and slim to none in Smith. Theres a few in Smith but i'm in theory there transplants from another body of water but private idividuals....

If your going to the Staunton for blues I understand you should be down there now. I really dont know for sure though. But I understand they'll be moving back out of the rivers here soon..

A green Sunfish resembles a Warmouth or a Redeye (rockbass) Except there green/grey with a slight amount of orange and some bright blue striperson there checks... Basically A fat bodied bluegill with an oversized mouth. To catch them, and Claytor and the new has plenty of them. You have to fish around stucture.. Shallow Rockpiles and rip rap bank I find is best for them. They live in the crevices of the rocks. So Fishing for them requires you to have you hook basically bouncing off the rocks. They can be around fallen timber such as well. But Rocks I find them the most and less bluegills. I fish a small Cork, 10-14inchs of line, a #8 hook, A Tiny split shot 5"inchs about the hook and just enough pinch of worm to cover the hook. Basically have your cork floating within 5inchs of the rocks. If your to far away they wont comeout that far to eat your bait, and you'll be catching blue gills...

I'd rather have Green Sunfish over Bluegills anyday. There more Hardier and live alot longer on the hook. I made a post on how to rig Greensunfish or anytype of Sunfish. I only hook long fish in the mouth, Such as shad and chubs. Sunfish and fish of the like are always hooked in the body.

Heres the Post I made a while ago on Tail hooking baits..

"reeling in a shad or any baitfish hooked in the tail, will kill it if its not already dead, it takes water backwards hrough the gills. So reel slowly, also, reel slowly to keep from ripping the hook out of the soft tissue.

When you tail hook a bait. I always hook them just above the anus, you know the talehole. I rarly hook a bait behind the dorsal fin. A man once told me. A bait will swim against the pressure of a hook. So with a bait hooked behind the dorsal fin, the bait will try to swimdown, meaning it will stay on the bottom, causing less vibration and less signs of stress. If it swam up against the hook placed behind the dorsal fin, basically it would be swimming upside down, it wont do that.... With a bait hooked above his talehole. it will swim up against the pressure of the hook, meaning it will stay up off the bottom more than a dorsal hooked baitfish. Causing vibrations and signs of stress for a catfish and other species more likly to Hone in on."

I hope this helps.. One more thing, when your checking your baits.. IF the bait looks discolored replace him. If you place th bait back in the water and withing a few seconds he dont start triing to swim away, replace him......

9. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    yes If you are going to fish the staunton now until the end of june is the best time.the cats will slow down a little for the spawn only to pick back up later on.Its been a lot of fish caught resently up that way.

10. CatHunterSteve

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Thanks Chris for that report. We usually go down in April and May for the spring Striper spawn and try to go down in June to fish for cats but I have been working so much here laely that I haven't made it down the past few weeks for the Cats up in there. Will they be that far up the river for the remainder of June (Brookneil) that is where I know the water best and am able to navigate it a little better.

11. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    The cats will be there all summer just has it the water does not always cooperate, especially the way its been the last several years.I usually move down toward the lake in flats or where the rivers split.

12. CatHunterSteve

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Know what you mean about the water levels, been there a time or two that the water was so low we did not get to fish much because you couldn't get around the river and been there when the water was raging and couldn't find the fish. the last couple of years have been strange but we had fun this year with the stripers. Thanks for the info on the lower end of the river!