Bluegills- dead vs. alive and whole vs. cut

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by JakeW, Aug 25, 2006.

1. JakeW

JakeW New Member

State:
    Fremont, NE
    i wanted to know if you guys had any theories on this subject, i can get my bluegills about 2 to 3 inches so i use whole, and alive but by the end of the night they are dead, i dont think it matters, would like to hear all of your opinons. thank ya'll. jake

2. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well, what I do is use them alive until they die. Then, change and hook up another live bluegill and use the dead one for cut bait. I have used cut bait more, so I have caught more on it. Since i have started using more live bait, I believe live bait is better especially for flatheads. Bluecats like the cut better from my experience. That is how I do it anyway. Hope that helps!! Good fishing!!

3. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Oh yeah! Welcome to the BOC, Jake!!

4. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I agree with kycatman, however do not forget to use the head. I have caught just as many channels using the head, as any other part of the cut bait. Just hook them through the "snout" and hang on. (Works very well under a bobber in a pond or reservoir).

I caught an 18lb channel on a head of a gill about 3 inches long.

Welcome aboard Jake.

Larry

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I like them live but if they die I will cut the tail and the fins off to keep the scent strong in the water. then cut the head off to use for bait. I try not to waste my bait but sometimes the catfish won't cooperate and some gets cut up into small pieces and the area gets chummed.

6. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Exactly what the others have posted...I use them until they dies and then they turn into cutbait.I`ve caught my biggest flat on the head...

7. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Those fellas are right! Always use the head. I have probably done the best on it. I never use the tail, though. Also, when I cut the head off I don't cut all the way through. I cut all the way to the bottom and then tear the rest off. Usually when you tear the bottom it will bring alot of the guts with it. Catfish love that! Good luck!!

8. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    well i use whole live ones but i make a scraches on the fish so some blood will come out. hope this helps.:big_smile:

9. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I use the live bluegills until their dead then i remove the head to use as bait as well,i use all the remains for bait so that nothing is wasted.

10. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    MY son and I recently fished with a guide. We were fishing for blues. The guide used all cut perch or gills, no live bait. We caught blues and channels on the cut bait.

Tony

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've caught some of my biggest fish on fresh cut bluegill. It sort of depends on what you are fishing for, but my experience has been that a cut up bluegill will outfish a live one when targeting channel or blue cats, and that a live one is better for flatheads.

Be sure to cut them up - don't just fish a dead bluegill that is intact. Getting the blood or scent into the water is key, and cutting them up is the best way to do that.

The head and the gut pocket are probably the best pieces, but with smaller gills I will usually cut it into 2 or 3 pieces and put them all on the hook together. And don't completely dismiss the tail sections, I've caught 2 of my biggest fish, including the 54lb'er in my avatar, on the tail section pieces on nights where I was scrounging around for bait.

12. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use gills, the bigger the better. I target flatheads when using them so i like them alive. But if the bite isn't happening on live bait i then start cutting them up. Usually just cut them in half. And like Gary said you'll catch more channels or blues on cut bait.

13. JakeW

JakeW New Member

State:
    Fremont, NE
    this is about the most helpful info i have gotten off of here to date, and you can bet your hide i will be trying it here in a couple of hours, i got about 30 bluegill, about 10 of them dead and stinkin since yesterday morning, i think i will just cut them in halve right away.

14. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I keep the bream alive even if we are using them as cutbait.I take them from the livewell and cut them up.Seems to be fresher when they are still alive when you cut them.

15. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Bream the size you are using I step on them then use the mess whole:tounge_out:

16. Mauer

Mauer New Member

State:
    *Required*
    live for flat... and dead/cut for chan..