bluegills as bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by marcus22, Jul 16, 2009.

1. marcus22

marcus22 New Member

State:
    toledo,ohio
    do you want them alive or cut into chunks.
    i was thinking of going to park and grabing some up since i can't get shad around here.

2. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    I'm not expert, but i think it depends on what you're after.

Blue catfish definitely like chunks.

Flatheads and large channel cats eat live bluegill. I caught a 24" channel cat on a 6" bluegill . . . I'm not sure how he even got it in his mouth.

3. marcus22

marcus22 New Member

State:
    toledo,ohio
    IM THINKING MORE ON CHANNELS AND FLATS. I THINK THATS ALL WE GOT IN OUR LAKE EIRE AND MAUMEE RIVER

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya the general rule is live for flathead. there predatory. some do catch them on fresh cut but in general live works well.

for channels small live or cut work. ive caught some nice channels while flathead fishing with live.

for blue fresh cut chunks.

5. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    another thing I've heard when flathead fishing is to stab the bluegill so that it's bleeding.

Seems kind of sadistic to me, but the fish usually ends up dying on the line after about an hour or so anyway. I don't do it, but then again I'm no good at cat fishing. :doubt:

6. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    yea flatheads are freash water sharks. and blues love cut bait but in the early season flats will go after cut also because there metabolism is still very slow.

7. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good advice you're getting and I can't add anything to it as I use them both ways. Stay safe and good fishing!!!

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You have received some good advice. I would add that you try both live and cut baits, when in doubt. The fish will soon tell you which they prefer on that water on that day.