Bluegills are dying in my bait tank!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SangamonCatKiller, Mar 28, 2006.

1. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Omg my bait tank!!! Every single gill I throw in, dies days later, apparently from ich. My neph, threw a hot dog in my tank and it fill with oil, almost like a car. Ever since I can't keep bluegill alive in the tank. I have bought nox-ich and it isn't working. Raised the temp in the tank as per my local pet store owners advice. Nothing seems to work, they all get white spots and become lethargic and quickly die. Weird thing is though, I have 10 or so creek chubs i put in there and not a single one has died in a month and a half. Are they immune or something ? Any advise on curing this besides, emptying the entire tank and cleaning it. I would like to keep my chubs alive for another week or so, so hopefully nothing happens to them....

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I personally dont know what you have going on in there but I would drain it and clean it. NOT with cleaning products or something that would kill the fish but wipe everything down with fresh water. Good luck and let us know what you find!

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    To stop Ich, you need to make sure that the water that the gills are in when you bring them home is the same temp as the water in the bait tank or it will happen to them for sure! This I learned from haveing aquariums for many years.

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    hmmm if the gils are getting it and the chubs aren't then somethings up w/ the gils rather then your water... the oil normally won't do anything, i feed mine hot dogs when i can and it doesn't do anything to them... Only thing i can say is change the Turn the filters off and then use the Ich Meds( leave them off for 12-24 hrs), and also Change the filters... it'll help more then you think...

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hard water maybe? try adding some salt. there are a couple of duck ponds where i get gills and those things arent worth a damn after 12 hrs, no matter how hard you try to keep them. they always get really white around the edges, get stiffer than a peice of cardboard and die. i gave up and just get them on the way when i want to use them. are they just plain old 'gills or sunfish? plain old gills die really easy anyway.

6. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Ich is caused by light. If you get Ich in an aquarium you treat the tank for several days and keep the lights turned off.

7. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I have 2 concret tanks, 270 gal. and 700 gal.I've used ich controll that I get at wallmart. seems two work.
    But when ever, tanks start to get nasty ,crude on sides . I drain and wash down with stright bleach, let set till dry or over night and then rinse real good and several times, Learned this from a friend that worked at a bait wholesaler. That way you start back with clean tank.

8. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Why do you guys feed your baitfish? On occasion I've had fish in my tank for up to 3 weeks(usually I use them faster) and never feed them and they are very lively. Feeding just causes problems, wasted food going bad, increased waste from the fish, increased ammonia build-up. Put fewer fish in your tank if you think they will starve to death before you use them.

Take a sample of your water to the pet shop and let them test it for Ph, Cl2, Alk, and hardness, sounds more like a species specific problem with the enviroment. I have no prblem with green sunfish and bluegills in my tank, but bullheads start getting a fungus very quick(so I use my bullheads very quick). Ich is usually small white specks on the skin, fungus usually starts on the fins and will completely cover the fin and spread to the eyes and mouth area..........maybe Ich isn't your problem???

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    center... you wouldn't have much of a problem w/ green sunfish... I accidentally forgot about one in a 7.5 gal tank (little 3 incher) and the tank got gross and no food for over a month(won't ever let that happen again) and i figured the fish died... so i took it out and started pouring the water out of the tank... when i got to the last little bit i heard splashing... looked in it... the damn thing was still alive and doing very well... set the tank back up and had him till i decided he'd make good bait....

Those Green sunfish are HARDY fish... I love fishing for them too cause they are fun little fighters

10. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Nick also something you might want to consider if you haven't is, a genrale aquarium rule is also only one inch of fish per gallon. For example if you have a 20 gallon aquarium, all of your fish should not total more than 20 inches.

11. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    dont fill it with tap water. tap water isnt aerated.

12. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I dont think thats so much the problem, because if you ever see the water come out white of the faucet, that is the air getting trapped.

I dont know much about how it causes Ich, but the temperature and the chlorine levels are VERY important to catching bluegills. What I got is some stuff from walmart called chlor-out and it takes out the chlorine, therefore making it less toxic to the fish. As for the temperature, if its too hot or too cold, the bluegills will go into shock and die by the next morning. Its not fun to watch all your bait die :sad:

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You CAN add tapwater, but you need to set it out in an open bucket for several days before adding it. That lets the chlorine dissipate.

14. bestcatterindaNATI25

bestcatterindaNATI25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Try emptying your tank and scrubbing it down. That should clean all those oils out

15. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    you have ICH and it is a fungal disease. You can treat it, but sounds like the tank is overrun with it. I suggest purging all the water and then using non-ionized salt scrub it out well. Then refill with the hottest water the tank will take.

Fish load was probably high and stress levels rose. Ich is common and curable if caught early.

You can get chemicals to treat ich from any aquarium supply store