Bluegills and other brim in cooler water

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by JAinSC, Oct 13, 2008.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Anybody have tips on catching bluegills, redbreast, etc in medium rivers as the water cools down? I usually work the river bank with a beetle spin or worm under a float, but that doesn't seem to work well as the water gets colder.

Each fall it gets harder to find the sunfish for flathead baits right when the cat bite is really going good!

2. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Well, I hauled in 76 bluegill/sunfish in an hour on beemoth along the rivers edge around rocks last night. fishing about 10 inches deep on bobber stop. I lost about 8 - 10 that jumped from my bucket back in the water as I stood there fishing.

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    They get hard to find around here in the cooler months also.I found some small ponds around I live and talked to the land owners about catching perch from there.Most of them had no problem with it.I put some traps out in them and caught alot on the old 202.They were alot easier to lacoate them in the small ponds then on a lake or river.I now have a 500 gallon bait tank with an 18 hndred gal an hour pump on it so I can go grab some and go fishin.