bluegillheads

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Jul 13, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i went down to a lake, and used cut bluegill no blue rubns, the guys infront were using cut shad asian carp, got a 43 and 2 15s, im guesing i shouldent bother with bluegill cuts and get a net and get shad, im i right, but the only 2 blues i ever got were on bluegil heads in may,at the same spot so i dont know, also, they say use fresh cuts, whats fresh, lol, if i got them in a cooler fore a day is that fresh, i know now especialy on big rivers bluegill wont produce bluecats like skipjack or shad

2. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    They work Ok when in a cooler for a day, but they are much better when they are flopping when you cut them. 1/2 dozen gills will stay alive in a 5 gallon bucket of water for days if you dont let it get too hot.

3. 1442ncs

1442ncs New Member

State:
    Muhlenburg, KY
    A good block of ice in a bucket will really help keep them alive.

4. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Slikk, in my amateur opinion the Bluegill just don't have enough blood and fatty oils to put out a strong scent trail. For example yesterday I fished with a buddy out on the river in 8-20 oz. currents using Bloody Skipjack, Live and Cut Bluegill. We caught 5 fish total and all were caught on the big bloody Skipjacks that had the guts hanging out except one that was caught on a small Live Green Sunfish and none on the cut Bluegill. Chance???.... perhaps it's chance but I tend to think there is a reason. Perhaps the big river Blues are more accustomed to the Skipjack is another possibility.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    agree i must, i need to get live skipjack and shad,and a throw net, its weird making the transition to blues after flathead fishing for so long, its the bait and distance that screws me every time, you realy need a boat to half high expectations around here maby not in them southern states , but 90 percent of bluecat guys tll me at the lock you need boat or youl be their for 12 hours before you get a bite, ill just keep at it and hope fore a big blue,if i get one ill be happy,im shure my time will come