Bluegill ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Crowderdog, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Crowderdog

Crowderdog New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Does anyone know if it is legal to buy bluegill for bait in Indiana? A neighbor boy of mine raises bluegill, as well as other species, for the stocking of ponds. He assures me that he can legally sell them for stocking but does not know about selling them for bait. Any help would be appreciated.

2. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm pretty sure they better have a hook mark on their lip, or you could be in trouble.

3. Crowderdog

Crowderdog New Member

State:
    Indiana
  4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    your fine... its no different than me getting them from my uncles pond with a trap and using them .. as long as they are not netted out of a public lake/waterway you can use them... and with them coming from a private fish farm there is nothing they can say about that.... FISH ON!!!

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i would think it would be legal, but not sure. who is to say you didnt net them from your own pond, after you bought them. i would do it but only if he is legit.

6. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I agree. I don't think there would be a problem. But if you're really worried about it
    call the DNR and ask about it.

7. Crowderdog

Crowderdog New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thanks for replies.

8. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    As you Crowderdog I had wondered that also. I did a quick search and was able to come up with site. If you start with page 44 and read from there on it goes pretty indepth on all of our local and state laws.
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/2008_Rec_Fish_Guide_hi.pdf

As far as the question at hand you can use gill as live bait as long as it leaglly caught or netted out of natural body of water(lake, stream, river, pond, ect.). It is not legal buy gills. On the same page it is illegal to use carp and gizzard shad for live bait.

I hope this helps everyone out.

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks Danny, I always thought it was Illegal to use gills unless you catch them on hook and line... man, I've been paranoid for nothin' lol:eek:oooh: