Bluegill

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by KYFlatHead, Sep 19, 2009.

1. KYFlatHead

KYFlatHead New Member

State:
    Manchester, KY
    i have a pond full of channels and some big cats no bluegills lol how many should i catch and stock?i put 44 in there 2 weeks ago and i dont see anymore of them on the bank

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    to be honest 40 bluegill isnt all that many in a pond. especially one that has a lot of cats in it. 4 good sized cats could go through 40 bluegill in a day maybe 2. if you goto this site, http://fw.ky.gov/navigation.aspx?cid=552 they should be able to help a little. another thing if you will search pond stocking on google, you will come up with some farms that sell bluegill for stocking ponds. you may want to over load it a little because of the number of cats that you have. but if you call one of them or email them they can give you a lot of help. i know the rule of thumb for a new pond is 400 blue gill per acre. one thats established maybe different due to the predatory fish and what not.

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Kevin!!
    First off welcome to the BOC. Now to reply to your question. Go to the sight Jeremy posted and find the Biologist for your district. get in touch with him. He will probably be more than glad to help, and might even come out to your property and evaluate the pond. Hope this helps.

4. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    Just feed 'em dog food:smile2: That's what they do at Yatesville Lake.:angry:

5. KYFlatHead

KYFlatHead New Member

State:
    Manchester, KY
    ok guyz thanks for help we should get together and fish im in london area

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah them bull channels will munch on em right fast if you arent feeding them any high protein pellets or something of that nature, Depending on size of pond i'd go with 60. :wink:

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I'm from Paintsville area. Do you ever fish below the dam at Lake Cumberland or the lake ?? Been wanting to fish that for years.

8. KYFlatHead

KYFlatHead New Member

State:
    Manchester, KY
    ive never been to cumberland i would love to go heard about some wales there set time and date..:)

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I'll figure out a date and get with you. I added you to my contact list.
    I have read articles in Field and Stream years ago about cat that were being caught there.

10. KYFlatHead

KYFlatHead New Member

State:
    Manchester, KY
    sounds good tell me if i need to bring anything:) i can get blue gills monster minnows goldfish anything:)

11. festus

festus New Member

My dad's sister lives in Somerset, KY and she is just a few minutes from the lake. I've driven by the lake several times, but never fished it. I know a couple of years ago (I think) they had to drastically drop the water levels to do some repairs to the dam. The dam has had problems since the 1960's. Does anyone know if this was straightened out? I've heard they're some huge brown and rainbow trout in there.

12. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i have heard about the trout, it is supposed to hold some really good fish.

ken if you all get a trip together let me know?? you know me, im always up for some fishing....

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    You can bet on it Jeremy

14. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Her is the best I can help you about Cumberland . The lake is still down to my knowladge . Cats are in the lake the tailwaters.....Trout trout trout ! When cats do come thru the dam they will head to Tennesse ! That water is cold guys ! Haven't been to the tailwaters in a couple years .And when they sound the siren get way up the bank no joke !

15. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ever try Wood Creek or Laurel ? Those are much closer aren't they ?

16. KYFlatHead

KYFlatHead New Member

State:
    Manchester, KY
    yea i caught the 33 1/2 out of woods creek the fish in avator

17. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Great fish ! Didn't know there where in Flats in there I thought it was just channels .I fish the Ky river in Richmond pretty much . But I target those LIL channels pretty much LOL !

18. KYFlatHead

KYFlatHead New Member

State:
    Manchester, KY
    yea ive never seen a flatty there either maybe someone let it go there