Bluegill

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Husker, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Husker

Husker New Member

State:
    Scottsdale, Az.
    The last two times I've been out at Bartlett and fishing with live Bluegills, they seem to die off, about a half an hour after hooking them up to fish. I'm hooking them in the flesh just below the top fin on thier back and I'm using a three-way rig. Anyone else having this problem?

Kevin

2. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    maybe your hooking them to deep!! i hook them in the same spot with no problems. i hook them just deep enough to cast without them flying off.leaves lot of hook for the hookset too!when they do get lazy i'll tug the line a bit and it gets them moving again for a little while. hope this helps, shane

3. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    hook mine behind the top fin, shane

4. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If they die and you have no choice, cut em up and use some cut bait. I dont have that problem cause I catch gills as needed where I fish. Try useing the head for bait with some gut pocket hanging out, thats good stuff there.

5. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    That is excellent stuff there!!!

6. Husker

Husker New Member

State:
    Scottsdale, Az.
    Shane I'm hooking them just as I always have just below the top fin to the rear.

Skunk I was thinking that also as the water temps are and have been around 89 degrees, but were fishing the bait in 15-25' of water, temps at those depths are cooler. Over the years we've some loss but not like this year, first trip was 100% loss and the last trip was 75% loss. I'm talking Bluegills that are a half of a hand size to a full hand in size.

I'll be back out in two weeks, see what happens then, any help or input is worth trying.

Kevin

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  7. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    in theory yes!! the fall turnover will result in all that deep cold summer water mixing and coming up top bringing with it trash and debris from the bottom!! look in the member library there are a couple of threads about thermocline basically after the turnover the water will oxygenated from top to bottom