Bluegill

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by DensSang, Mar 21, 2006.

1. DensSang

DensSang New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Where is the best spot to hook a bluegill to get better response from a flathead

2. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    i always hook them from inside the mouth right up through the nose. it works for me.

3. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    That is a good question. well i almost always hook thru the eyes. keep the leader short if there is a lot of snags present but if I am fishing with little or no snags then its thru the back toward the tail with extra leader length. I also clip the tail as this helps the flats locate the bait (blood trail and strugling to swim) this is my opinion. maybe I have been hooking them wrong lets see what everyone else does.
    Bondman

4. catfishplaya

catfishplaya New Member

State:
    Illinois (southern Illinois)
    is it illegal to use bluegill for a bait in Illinois? some say yes some say no, whats the law?

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if im bottom fishing i hook them just behind the dorsal fin, when using a float i'll hook them in the middle of the dorsal fin so they hang "straight and upright" in the water. be careful not to hook any live bait too deep, you can injure them too bad and they wont perform for you, or worse, DIE. i'd shy away from "eye" hooking, gut hooking, and never peirce their spine, you want your bait as healthy as possible.

6. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    it is definitely legal to use them for bait in Illinois. If you can keep the bluegill for food, then you can use it for bait on your lake i.e. if there's a size limit for bluegill on your lake, they have to be over that limit. and you have to catch them legally (by hook and line).

7. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    We call them rock bass around the st louis area. I believe the real name is wamouth bass but I probally spelled it wrong.They are blue gil size but the flat heads love them.

Always use as big a blue gill or rock bass as possible. A small flat head can easily eat hand size blue gil. The larger gils attract them more.

I always hook them in the mouth by the nose. I fish the mississippi and the current is so strong that if I don/t it turns them around and blows out their gills and kills them.

Some people like to cut off their fins or tails. I don/t, I feel it impedes their movement. What i do is slit their stomachs to get the blood scent in the water or I may take a fresh piece of cut up blue gil and put it in the water to get the scent out there. They will stay alive for hours with their stomachs slit but I hate to kill them.

8. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    Just behind the dorsal fin

9. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I hook them in the back, behind the dorsal fin.

And, the DNR regs have a paragraph about using bluegill for bait. Definitely legal. It's not communicated, but in Illinois you can basically use any fish caught legally by hook and line provided you follow the rules on size and number both where the baits were taken from, and where they are being used. (I confirmed this from an ILDNR officer via e mail a few years ago)

I like green sunfish for baits, but have also used bullhead, crappie, and bluegill.

Shawn