Bluegill versus Bullhead catfish for bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by FWFeecherman, Aug 22, 2006.

1. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey all on the BOC! I have always used live bluegills for my flathead fishing and done pretty well with them. However, I have often read about people favoring bullheads. I haven't tired them because the gills are easier for me to get from a local pond. I just found a place that is loaded with bullheads though and getting them will be just as easy as the gills. If you flathead experts had to decide, which would you choose night in and night out? Bluegills or bullheads? I aso wonder how you guys who do use bullheads, go about grabbing them out of the bucket? I know how to hold them, but I get poked every now and then with the gills, I can't imagine how much that would happen with the bullheads. I guess you are probably using nets. Love to hear thoughts on Bluegills versus bullheads from you guys/gals on the BOC. Tight lines and screamin clickers to ya!!!

2. fattyflatty

fattyflatty New Member

State:
    kansas
    bullheads have some advantages to the blue gill. bullheads stay alive longer and arn't cover shy. they will continue to move so the flatheads are attracted. and yes they will fin you. just grab them behing the head and make shure they dorsil fin is down. and hook them behind the dorsil fin.
    plus baby carp make great live bait as well.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have been using strictly bluegills for most of the year with great success but lately I have also used bullheads. I cut off the tail on the bluegills just so it bleeds and attracts the fish more. The bullheads I cut off the tail and I cut off the spikes also. So far since I used bullheads the biggest flat has been 31lbs but I am hoping a bigger one bites soon. Biggest flat so far this year on bluegill was 46lbs in 3ft of water.

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I always try to fish one of each if I can get 'em.
    I seem to catch bigger fish on bullheads, more fish on bluegills.
    Yes, the small dip net is the best way to get them out of the bucket, and I always use heavy water proof farm gloves to handle my bait so I don't get any bug spray, sweat, food, or other human scent on the fish (solves the spine problem, too).

Good Fishing!

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You BOC Brothers that have access to bluegills and bullheads(they called them mudcats when I was little) are in great shape.I don't know where I can get any bullheads I know where I can get blue gills tho.I have never tried them as I didn't know where to get the gills legally until just a few days ago when I received an email from one of my fish and game officers in the state.However,i know of a baitshop that sales coycarp which I have been informed are a form of gold fish. They run $9 per dozen which is just a little steep for me!----------------pk powell:smile2:

6. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    personally i like small carp and warmouths but i have used bullheads before and had my best night of flathead fishing ever we caught 10 fish over 30 pounds and 7 from 15 - 30.they seem to catch the bigger flatties oposed to the smaller ones and the flatheads seem to love them.they also stay alive alot longer than bluegills or any other baitfish iv ever used so i would try the bullheads if i were u.

7. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have caught more bigger flathead on bullheads, but more numbers on perch. If it was a choice between bullheads and bluegill, I would choose bullhead EVERy time, if it was between bullheads and black perch, or even goldfish, it would depend on where I was fishing, but probably choose the perch and goldfish in most cases, but would love to have a few of each in the bucket.

As for getting them out of the bucket, just reach in there and grab them you wussy!! :lol: That is what my Dad always yelled at me growing up!!:big_smile:

PS - The bigger bullheads will produce better if you cut the tips of the fins off.

8. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have heard of alot of nice fish being caught on both bullheads and bluegills. To me, bullheads are alot harder to find. although, i would love to try them some time, i guess i will have to stick to using bluegills. Good fishing to ya!!

9. BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow New Member

State:
    Alabama
    What is a bullhead?? Is that what I called a mudcat back in Texas?
    Thanks for the information.

10. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yep. Us Hoosiers call em bullheads. :lol:

11. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    Bullheads are the best in my opinion, but gills are easier to come by. I would use a bullhead over a perch anytime I had one. They are great flathead baits.

12. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Unfortunatley bluegills are illegal to use as bait here in Minnesota (as are goldfish). I use live bullheads for flatheads most of the time instead. Live suckers and chubs work good also, although they cost twice as much.

As far as bullheads go, they work great for big flatheads. They stay very fiesty for hours on your hook, and the flatheads seem to love them. To hook them, I use a small net to get them out of the bait bucket then just grab them around the head with my fingers and hook them up through the bottom lip. Naturally you need to be careful of their stingers. There is no need to clip the stingers off. The flatheads I have caught have never been bothered by them at all. That is just extra work you don't need to do.

13. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Small bullheads look like a flathead sorta. Do you think flathead would eat a small flathead? What about a small channel cat?

14. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    well going to have to say bluegill only becuse bullhead are ilegll here in Calif, just found out this weekend after getting 2 bullhead was going to use them for bait but looked it up and found out no way, also goes for AZ

15. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I dont clip the stingers off because I like extra work, I clip them off because it puts more blood and scent into the water, therefore producing faster bites. Its also why I cut off the tail, they still stay alive for a long time, and they are bleeding and they cant swim as well and get tangled up in cover as much.

16. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    yes michael a flathead will eat a small flathead and channel cats i caught a 25 pound flathead 2 years ago with a 2 pound channel cat in its throat and have seen pics of were flatheads have eaten other flatheads

17. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i hear bullheads are good and i lost over night bank poles with bullheads on em. well i dont get success off of gills so bullheads it is!

18. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    There is no need to clip the stingers off. The flatheads I have caught have never been bothered by them at all. That is just extra work you don't need to do.

THANK YOU i am no longer the only one who thinks bullheads dont shock they sting. no electrical current in them. man thank god your here!:lol: :lol:

19. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Id use bullheads for bait if they stay alive longer Id probabally clip the stingers off also and maybe the tail they would stay alive a long time anyway. i use to cut the tails off the bluegill. How does everybody hook the bullheads.

20. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    I have never heard anyone say bullheads shock you. They can stick ya (and it does sting), but they don't shock ya.

Jason - I hook mine up through the bottom lip.