Bluegill traps

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by jrgriffhusker, Jul 29, 2009.

1. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I was wondering if anyone has any cool bluegill traps. I would like to make one so I can use them for bait on the river. If you would be so kind as to pass on the wisdom that would be great.
    Catching them on rod and reel is taking to long and few and far between.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Look in the member library. There are several types shown there. An old man told me to use white styrofoam pieces as bait, It works. I didn't believe it until he set his trap by mine. I had oatmeal and crackers as bait and he had stryofoam. He caught 3 time as many perch.

3. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    I had a crawdad trap with carne asada in it. No crawdads but caught about 10 2-3" Gills over night with it. It's the rectangular trap walmart sells.

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    dirtdobber is right, whisler has a step by step instructions for a good cloverleaf. its the one i use and it works awesome w/ the styrofoam. when i want crawfish i load it w/ fish heads.

5. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    How big are the styrofoam pieces? I built the trap that Whistler has posted in the library. Good trap.

6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    mine has a flat 6by6 inch square in it. whatever fits center really

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    About the size of a 50 cent piece.

8. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri

I told a friend about this yesterday and he went out and baited them with styrofoam. In 30 minutes between 2 traps he had caught 70 green sunfish. I would like to say thank you for the bait idea because it works!