Bluegill trap?!?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by FLATHEAD LBER, Apr 17, 2008.

1. FLATHEAD LBER

FLATHEAD LBER New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh PA
    i just got a bluegill trap off the internet and was wondering if anyone has used one before and if it worked good or not the one i got looks like a crab pot "crab trap" if you know what they look like.any info would be cool

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I havent ever used a blue gill trap before but I do know that you can get some wax worms and catch alot of blue gill on them, let us know how the trap works for you and if they are any good or not.

3. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The traps work like a slot machine. I use a slice of bread for bait and put the trap in my creek and catch 40-60 in 1 day. They all run about 3-5". You can use dry dog food if you want. It does not seem to matter. I have baited it and put it in my pond within 2-3 minutes the perch smell the bait and start investigating. Pretty soon they start going in the opening. They work great!!

catman george

4. riv56

riv56 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I just wondered if anybody knew if they were legal in pennsylvania??:confused2:

5. cchichy

cchichy New Member

State:
    Cookport,
    they are not legal in pa! neither are trotlines .... the only traps you can legally use are for bait fish bluegills are not considered baitfish... only suckers chubs shad ... and a few others ... blue gills and sunfish MAY NOT be caught using a trap ... only by approved tackle

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    same here. i dont buy nothing like that till i check for approval. we can use en for bait if caught by rod and reel.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Jesse,

Those bluegill traps will only catch really, really, really, small infant bluegills. That's OK for bass or crappie bait, but if you are looking for saucer plate bluegills for flatheads, stick to the tradional way with ultra lite rod and reel.

8. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    They are 100% not legal. It would also be illiegal to use any of the gill caught in such a method as the rule states that it must be a legally caught game fish. Not worth it to me!!

9. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    How about cast nets? I have one and have used it for years to catch shad and suckers, but really have'nt been sure about the laws pretaining to the use of them.

10. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
  11. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    wow! That shatters my universe:angry:

12. SEANEGNATZ0789

SEANEGNATZ0789 New Member

State:
    MCKEESPORT, PA
    JESSE I AS WELL NEVER USED A GILL TRAP.I USE AN ULTRALIGHT ROD AND REEL WITH PIECES OF NIGHTCRAWLERS. AND I CATCH THEM ONE AFTER ANOTHER. NICE SIZED ONES TO.NOT TO MENTION SIZE 12 TROUT HOOK.