Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a bluegill trap off the internet and was wondering if anyone has used one before and if it worked good or not the one i got looks like a crab pot "crab trap" if you know what they look like.any info would be cool

·
Registered
440 Posts
The traps work like a slot machine. I use a slice of bread for bait and put the trap in my creek and catch 40-60 in 1 day. They all run about 3-5". You can use dry dog food if you want. It does not seem to matter. I have baited it and put it in my pond within 2-3 minutes the perch smell the bait and start investigating. Pretty soon they start going in the opening. They work great!!

catman george

·
Registered
118 Posts
they are not legal in pa! neither are trotlines .... the only traps you can legally use are for bait fish bluegills are not considered baitfish... only suckers chubs shad ... and a few others ... blue gills and sunfish MAY NOT be caught using a trap ... only by approved tackle

·
Banned
10,335 Posts
Jesse,

Those bluegill traps will only catch really, really, really, small infant bluegills. That's OK for bass or crappie bait, but if you are looking for saucer plate bluegills for flatheads, stick to the tradional way with ultra lite rod and reel.

·
Registered
126 Posts
They are 100% not legal. It would also be illiegal to use any of the gill caught in such a method as the rule states that it must be a legally caught game fish. Not worth it to me!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.