Bluegill Trap Bait

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mdudes17, Jun 22, 2006.

1. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    I was wondering what everyone uses for bait in their bluegill trap. i've used white bread and canned dog food. Anything else?

2. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I just use the Science Diet dog food that I have around the house. It works pretty good. Just wrap it in panty hose and chunk it in there.

3. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wheat bread worked pretty good. I'll try dog food next time!

4. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    i've used cornmeal in a pantyhose and cought a bunch

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I use dry dog food in a zip lock that I poked a bunch of holes in. Works great!

6. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    No sense in wasting perfectly good dog food when any old dry cat food works. Even cat food that has been sitting around for a while. If you've put milk on your dry kitty food let it set in the sun a while in a clear plastic bag, gets real smelly but it's dynamite trap bait. Cat food is generally cheaper (5lb.bag) than dog food too.
    Don

7. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    thanks for the info Don. i'll definately try the sour milk catfood.

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I've had the best luck for bluegills in a baitfish trap on quartered mini bagels from BJ's but almost any will do i think... they didn't break apart at all in the 10 hrs they were in the trap and there were about a dozen in there.. I also like using rotten chicken livers, fish carcasses, catfood cans w/ holes poked in it, crackers, and a variety of different things but the bagels have worked the best for me.

9. sam9266

sam9266 New Member

State:
    Albany, GA
    I also use dry dog food.. the cheaper the better. The really cheap stuff you can find at Dollar stores is best. The cheapest dry dog food has the highest amount of fat in it and is just what you want as bait for your traps. Cotton seed cake also works very well but its getting harder to find these days... used to get it free but then people realized there was an actual market for it and the next thing ya know.. its over priced...lol
    The traps I make and use have a bait well made out of 1/8" screen so I just dump it in.. no bags, panty hose, etc.

Good luck.. sam

10. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Best bait for bluegill traps??

Styrofoam peanuts!!!

Yep, that's right. Plain old packin peanuts. Everyone gets them, and they last forever. I don't know why, but the bluegill are attracted to the floating peanuts. Don't have to be white either. Any color should work.

Tried 3 baits at Keystone. Styrofoam peanuts in one trap, dog food in another, and a can of sardiens with holes in it in the other.

Styrofoam had twice what dog food had, and 3 times what the sardines had.

11. butlersbeagles

butlersbeagles New Member

State:
    Ohio
  12. Jones

Jones New Member

State:
    TX
    I think I need to look into trapping bluegills. Running a trotline, I have yet to do any good with liver or worms; however, the perch I've been buying have done better. But it is getting expensive. How does the trap work?
    Jones

13. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
  14. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    That's a very imformative link. Thx CAT ADDICT. I've been having problems keeping my fish in my funnel traps unless I checked them pretty often and that trap there looks like it would work a whole lot better. I'm about to head to Lowes to get the materials to build me a few of those.

15. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    TDawgNOk used shipping popcorn in his trap at the Keystone gathering and seemed to do well. I know it sounds strange but it works.

16. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    My wife used to always collect and freeze any white bread that got stale or hard, such as end pcs, etc. In the spring I'd use a piece or two of that when fishing my bream baskets, Once the bream start going in the baskets better (latter spring) a piece of white strofoam would do the trick most times.

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I use crackers lately but will now try styrofoam peanuts and dogfood next time I go. Great Ideas.