Bluegill trap bait?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by RobbHeb, Jan 5, 2009.

1. RobbHeb

RobbHeb New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i built that trap that Whistler has posted in the library and i've used it a couple of times so far but i just wanted some ideas on what to bait the trap with.

the first time i used it i left it out for 25 hours and had it baited with cat food, i stopped counting bream at 20.

the second time(same spot as above) i left it out for 24 hours or so and had it baited with dog food. i caught 10 turtles and 1 bream.

the third time i placed in a different spot and had it baited with dog food again, all i caught was a Eel(sp?).

abviously i should go back with the cat food, but im wondering what ya'll bait with or if you have any ideas on what to use.

Thanks!

2. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i use bits of white bread and i also take a pantyhose and cut a piece off and stuff it with about 10 night crawlers tie the pantyhose rinse the wad of crawlers off then crush themin to a paste and hook it in the middle of ur trap

i also do the same for bullheads but i put chicken livers soaked in garlic and anise oil in the trap

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wheaties works well or cat food as mentioned.

4. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    ive also built the bream trap.. had better luck with catfood rather than dog food..

5. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    No traps for me, I am old fashioned and I use a hook and beemoth. Where I go, I can bring in almost 100 bluegills/sunfish/bass in an hour!

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Same here.. Same here...rollo

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I built 4 of the traps and I use oatmeal in a cheese cloth sack. When I go I always bring perch home so if I want to fish and not catch bait, I have it. If my better half goes we always catch them on poles. She can catch about 4 to my 1, so we get bait in a short time.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Ok...whats a beemoth, LOL ?

And...what kind of catfod did you guys try,,,in the can ?

Thanks for the info guys. I have only used worms but I wouldnt mind using a trap here and there.

9. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Wire a piece of white styrofoam in the middle of the trap. Place it in or near some grass W/ the top being about 6 inches under water. No bait needed.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Can you explain your post. Are you saying that the bluegill are feeding on the styrofoam? If so I have never heard of this.

11. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport

12. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    what is this trap you guys talk about:embarassed:

13. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
  14. afatcat

afatcat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    what kind of cat food do you use?

15. Bricky

Bricky New Member

State:
    Missouri

I have had best luck with canned beef and gravey cat food in the small cans. the cheaper the better