bluegill transport help

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by bigblaze, Sep 19, 2009.

1. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I have a 12 gallon plastic tank that i bought from Wall world...I put about 8 gallons of water in it..

I have a 500 gallon hour bilge pump that I was using for aeration...

But I think I overflilled the little plastic tank and had a fish kill...I had about 40 in it and lost at least 20...

I had amonina tablets that I put in but it was not enough...

does anyboday have any ideas on a cheap tank that will filter and can transport about 50 bream in the back of a truck...

thanks in advance...

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    depending on size couple big coolers and ya wont need air till ya get home ...yer good fer hr so without air ya put a little air in it by a 12v areator shoot ya keep em cool and dont overload I have had em stay alive here for bout a week with no filtration also use the water from where ya get them...you can put to much air in them ..by no means am I a expert either I am just starting to use live bait this yr this yr.& tryin to keep it I get mine out of a pond.......bet someone else round here will have more ...I use aquiwa safe to treat the clorine man our city water is bad...(LOL)

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    how far do you transport John?

40 bream in 8 gallons of water is about 30 bream too many bro, no matter how much you bubble it up.

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    If the fish are swirling round and round like they're in a tornado, it's too much pump. I can drag home 20 in my 5 gallon but I gotta change the water before I leave and I can't drive far or they start to float. Maybe 10 and no problem.

5. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    unfortunately about an hour to an hour and a half

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I had an 800 gph pump first and thought that was too much and down sized to a 500 gph...but yes the first time they were swirling...

but this time they were not

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Then you're gonna have to set up a large system.... or get your bait where you're fishing.

8. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    do bream give off amonia when stressed like shad...

in otherwords I have a 40 gallon Blue water bait tank and if you close the lid while moving from spot to spot the shad will die because the amonia has no where to go...

I think next time I will use my blue water to transport the bream...it's just very big, bulky and hard to secure in the truck

9. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    yea I think your right but I was just hoping somebody had some ideas on how to make a cheap transport tank..

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yes ammonia is produced by any fish. And btw, is not disipitated by opening the lid. I'd say a gallon per fish is minimum for a haul that far.
    They'll still more than likely be pretty sickly with that after such a long haul.

11. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Ammonia is secreted from the gills of all protein fed fish.

The more fish, the higher the ammonia levels and the higher pH. Ammonia increases and becomes more toxic with pH increases as well, so these two things will go hand it hand in killing off your bait in a short amount of time. A slightly acidic water is better in the short term.

The warmer the water the worse ammonia toxicity can be also.

So...

1. Keep the water cold.
    2. Keep the number if fish in the tank to a minimum (or get a larger tank)

Drop in a few of those freezable things people use in coolers for picnics and stuff. Even a gallon jug of frozen water in the tank could keep the temp down. Lower temp also lower the fishes metabolism which decreases respirations and the discharge of ammonia.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  12. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    I took this pic cause it was my first big transport,its just a rubbermaid bin with two bubblers,all 80 baits were fine, evan after an hour of driven around with the lid on

Attached Files:

13. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Mmmmm, Lager! LOL

14. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    :smile2::smile2::smile2: cheap bait tank equals good beer :cool2:

15. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have a 40 gallon tank made from a 55 gallon plastic drum. I just run one dual stone airator good for 100gallons. Also i cut holes in the sides for a rope handle with garden hose over it for comfort. I think the biggest things with gills is keepin the water cool. I drive 2.5 hours at times and maybe lose one fish. Ive had 40 to 50 good baits in my tank for these trips. I put a half of a bag of ice in the water and non aniodized salt helps. The big thing is when you get there you dont just want to throw them in the new water. You have to pour little amounts in at a time or you will shock the fish and kill all of them. The ice actually slows them way down and you think there going to die. You start puttin the new water in and it livens them back up. Just remember slowly change water.

16. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I use tablets that are supposed disolve the amonia...one tablet treats 20 gallons..

17. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't know how well that works... but let me know. I heard though, that it wacks the ph out and kills the fish anyway- which sounds pretty logical to me.

18. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Chemically how would that work?

19. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well quick changes in ph up or down will fataly shock fish.... (this is why it's good Idea to slowly acclimate your bait to the water you're going to be fishing with them in) Ammonia effects ph one way, remove it, and the ph is effected the other. Thats why- when a long time ago- that I heard ammonia tablets can throw your baits into ph shock from of a sudden ph shift, I thought it made some sense.... but like I said though, I don't know how well they work or don't work,,, I've never used 'em.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  20. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    One big thing I noticed about over populating the bait tank is with all the fish banging around the slime coat gets knocked off and with an areator it makes those yucky bubbles on top. An old timer told me to keep the water cool with ice so it makes the fish less apt to wanna slosh around keeps the slime coat on which helps protesct it. Seemed logical.