Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
965 Posts
I like all 3. Mostly use bluegill/ redear, chubs, and shiners up here, and shad if I can find it. Also, Shad is my primary bait when I fish the Ohio.

Mostly cut when fishing for channels and blues

Mostly live for the flatties

I normally mix things up between the few until I find out what their hittin on.

· Registered
3,471 Posts
if they were as easy as gills to get all the time, i would use shad cut or live. smellier the baitfish the better they are.

· Registered
1,149 Posts
Up my way on the Wabash, stream captured longear sunfish work great. They're native to the river so flatties eat them all the time, they're easy to catch, and they tougher than nails. They stay alive forever in a live well and are always really feisty on the hook. Last summer fullstringer & I kept track of our catches using live bait & cut bait. We actually had better catch rates (number of fish captured per hour of fishing) using cut bait...but it was only VERY slightly better, but better non-the-less. Heads seemed to work much better than the tail end.

· Registered
493 Posts
I always take mulitple baits when I go out. We usually have better luck with the cut bait but the fish in my avatar was caught on a whole frozen creek chub. You never know what works so dont get hooked in to using only one bait all the time. Good luck.

· Registered
247 Posts
I guess it depends on where your from as what you call them. I'm from upstate ny and we called them all sunfish. Down in florida they call em bream. "was like what the hell is a bream?" lol or call them bluegill or by there directr names like red ear etc... They're all bream/ sunfish/ gill to me. But I like them shad and gills the same but my pb is on a gill head.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.