Bluegill Spawn

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jagdoctor1, May 7, 2009.

1. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I went out to a new area today. We'll just say it's a backwater connected to the Colorado River. Saw some intresting structure and situations. What really caught my eye was the number of Bluegill near the shore making spawning beds.

Question being. Does anyone target bluegill spawning bed areas for Flathead. They are always shallow but usually near deeper water. I figure if you have 50 blugill all hanging together in the same place all day long the flathead have got to be coming into that area in the evening. Made me wonder if it was one of those things that are worth targeting.

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sounds like a field trip is in order!!!!! I'll bring ,,,,Stuff, and we can seemaybe if flatheads come up there to prey on the nest tenders!!

3. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    I've noticed that up here in Indiana, that a couple privte lakes i fish have a lot of shallow gill nest. I have also seen decent flatheads pulled from very close to these nests. It would be well worth a shot. Get a good sized, injured gill on the nest and see if a flat can say no?

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    During the early spring i will target flatheads in the deep holes that found them in during the prior fall but as the weather warms up (like it is now), I start to target them right around the areas that I get my 'gills from. The gills tend to hang tight to their cover and somehow stay out of reach the flatties at night...so you gotta understand that a 'gill sitting out there at night in front of his hole with no place to hide...:eek:oooh:...Lets just say, the other 'gills are glad they aint him!

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Makes sense to me and it's one of the things I was planning on doing very soon (like maybe this weekend).

I have seen some very nice flatheads come from right off a red breast sunfish bed.

Think about it: when the breeze is right I can actually smell a brim bed. If us humans can smell a bed, with our lousy noses, then to the flatheads it must be like having a mess of chicken frying up in the next room! Probably draws in a bunch of drooling flatties from the surounding area.

In school we used to shoot pool now and then in a little bar downstairs from a fried chicken place (DSP, below the Kickin' Chicken, if you know Columbia, SC). When we'd come back upstairs after splitting a pitcher or two and smell that chicken cooking ... Ummm. Well, if you dangled a drumstick near me on a 5/0 kahle hook, I'd be a goner!

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I figured it made sense but was wondering if anyone was already onto this and using it succesfully. Thanks for the replies and lets keep em coming. I'd love to get out there and try it out but this damn work and responsibilities stuff is in the way. Maybe this weekend.

7. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    That's like a buffet for flatheads.

8. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    would be my guess also

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Darn right that's where I will fish. Both blues and flats will go slap up the shoreline and pig out on them. It basically matching the hatch so to say. This past month you could find them around crappie beds...same theory.

Cast close to shore, get back some, no lights, be quiet and them cats will be there.

During the day look for some deeper water around those beds and they might be holding there during daylight hours.

Jim

10. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    When the Mayflies hatch and swarm the trees that hang out over the water, bluegills will school under them. The cats will be close. I float a gill about a foot off the bottom adout 10-15 ft out from the schooling gills.
    The first time I tried this was last year at the end of the bluegill spawn. The largest I caught was a 26lb flathead and a 29 lb blue. Caught several in the 8-12lb range. This year I will be watching for the Mayflies.

11. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    well i'll let you know how the flathead gill nest works out tryin it out tonight

12. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Well we went to try it out.... geuss what.. there are more mesquito's than fish. We were ran out in about 10 minutes. They were immune to deet. Have to go back all covered up. It wasn't the time or place. I had 3 children with me and we weren't prepared for that. We went and tried a few other places and I caught 1 flat about 4 pds in the eddie in the corner of the damn.

13. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    :eek:oooh: Sounds like a good spot for a Thermacell!

Vector

14. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I've heard of those.. Never tried one. This area is so thick with skeeters it's rediculous. I work in the area sometimes and hate it. It's down at Cibola lake. I saw several boaters get their boats loaded and get the hell out of there faster than I'd ever seen anyone do it lol. I have a feeling that do to this, the area is not fished much at night.. :wink:

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    if thers a bunch uo gills around throw a biger one and inger him, just out side the prks alotile of spawning bluegill , that works, but im no master

16. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If I find the gills on the nest, they better worry about me instead of those cats..........

17. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    Iam gonnt try this if i make it out in time again lol work aint letting me off when my friends wanna go lol aint fair

18. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Dont you just hate that stuff?!:confused2:...Im getting rid of it once I hit the lotto!:smile2:

19. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I got my therma cell last year...two of them. I light one and keep it on me, my son keeps the other on him an we do pretty good. Cant say that we dont get bit at all but we do a heck of alot better than with all the other stuff I have tried. Plus you dont get your hands smelling like bug spray or the bait when you handle it.

20. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    i keep hearing how good them are man you guys are gonna talk me into getting 1 and finding out lol:smile2: but i do need 1 if they work as well as they say they do?