Bluegill presentation in calm water?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Gibbzilla, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    What rig do you use, and where do you hook your live bluegill? Also, do any of you prep them any, like cutting one side of it for blood scent, clipping the fins, scaling one side of it, etc?

Thanks in advance.

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    in calm water, you can rig your hook on a dropper loop with the weight at the end of the line. hook the bluegill on the underside of the tail, so he will be upside down. this will cause the baitfish to constantly struggle to right himself, sending out constant vibrations that cats can pick up on. in calm water a nose hooked baitfish can 'get comfortable' and hide better.

3. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    I have never heard of hooking it so it's upsidedown. I have always hooked just above the tail and make a few slight cuts here and there.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

neither have i, makes a lot of sence. flash vibrations and struggle are 3 keys to attracting a predator. i will surley try this.

5. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    hooking the bait upside down sounds like a good idea. i'll definitely try that as well

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I always say, " If you ask the right question you will learn something on here" lol. Every guy on here knows some little tid bit or strategy, or technique that can be used by us all, the only thing is he doesn't think its important cause he uses it all the time, and just figures we all do too.
    So it takes a question to jog his memory and get him to post lol. Great question, and great answer. I had never thought of that Massa.

7. Budmeister

Budmeister New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hook'em on the underside of the tail....well who'da thunk that ?

In all my years of fishin i never heard or thought of that.

My hats off to you Sir.

And thanks for a GREAT post.

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    in still water i like to use a float and just let the bait go where it wants.this is in holes where there is no wood for the bait to get under or around.i use baits that are more apth to stay close to the bottom like bullheads or suckers and that way they are trying to go down all the time.if the water is 4 foot or less i dont use a sinker this makes for even more vibrations.i dont do any thing to my bait other than stick a hook in it.i want it to live as long as posible.i use braided line cause it floats and the bait doesnt get tangled up as bad.

9. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I usually just use a carolina rig and hook my gill just behind the dorsal fin. Sound like a good idea to hook them upside down so the predators can see them struggling.

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I REALLY like the upside down idea. In calm water I like a 3 way rig under a float. I anchor the bobber and bait with a heavy sinker, and give an extra foot to the bobber, in other words in 3 feet of water the distance between my sinker and bobber would be four feet, giving the bait room to struggle in a 2 foot circle. Now, upside down he would probably struggle twice as hard. Lay that rig next to a downed tree and I bet it's deadly.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that rig sounds good, me and my buddy have tried the upside down rig, i really didn't see much of a difference in the baits struggling, but i always use extremely lively fish for bait including green sunfish, smallmouth, bullheads etc. im sure that they probably did struggle to get upright more, I probably just didn't notice it. My buddy however, refuses to hook baits that way anymore after having the hook pull free a few times from the softer tissue on the bottom side! And even losing some trying to make long casts! LOL...im sure that it does have some advantages though, if you can get them hooked right...thanks for the info....rollo

12. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if you are in calm water and you are using a carolina rig, hook them on the underside right below the tail, this will make them try and swim up. if you are using a float (bobber) run the hook in thier mouths and hook them through the top lip through the tough part. you can also trim or even cut off the fins on one side. this will let them bleed a little and also make them swim around in circles, sending out alot of vibrations.

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The way I like to fish a live bluegil is on a float and without any weight. I hook the blugil lightly under the dorsal fin allowing the gil to swim and attract lots of attention to itself. Sometimes the bluegil will come to the top and splash around creating lots of ripples in the water and this usually brings a bite. This is of course without much current at all. If fishing on the bottom , I prefer a dropper loop with the weight on the bottom with the bait off the bottom about 2 ' and with the bluegil hooked lightly through the dorsal fin. Great care must be used ...not to hook too deeply and thus killing the bait. I used to fish live skipjack on a float and would catch large stripers this way too. What a blast!!:smile2:

14. bull68dawg

bull68dawg New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I always just use a carolina rig no matter what the current is like when fishin for Flats..No-Roll sinker, heavy swivell(rated like 200#) 80lb mono leader...but thats just me.....

15. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I personally don't know if I'll ever get away from the sacrifice system. I've had several flat's I've reeled in and lost my sacrifice sinker. This tells me I probably would have been snagged and lost that flathhead if I had used a carolina rig. The float idea is a good one but I just havn't tried it yet.

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the upside down thing isn't my idea, i just picked it up from a good ol boy who felt sorry for me :smile2:. i have had a lot of otherwise feisty baits get 'comfortable' somewhere near a good but calm spot. i think that once they don't feel anything wrong, they will go back to hiding, kind of the way a released fish will hole up and sleep it off, even though he still has a hole in his lip. i think that's why the freelining method works good around snags- the bait has a constant reminder that something is pestering him and he keeps moving, trying to get into cover. with the upside down rig you have to tightline, or the bait will right himself with little effort and still sit there. oh yeah and it also did not work with bullheads, just bluegills and carp.

17. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I use a simple slip-sinker rig (carolina rig) with about a 2 foot leader and circle hook. I hook the gill below the dorsal fin and try to get the gill to bleed some for attractant. This year Im gonna try using a float in calm shallow water with live bluegills.

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Thanks for all the helpful tips.

I always learn something new here.

19. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Well i would start by saying that I really don't change my rig according to water movement. I may change the amount of room my gill can roam according to how close i will be to cover and how fast the water is moving. I like my rigs freedom and how it allows the gill to swim a set distance. I always start with two bobber stops, and add a swivel in between them with a sturdy clip, this will be used used to hold your weight, i prefer triangle cut weights. set the stop nearest your hook the amount of distance you want your gill to travel, just remember it will be able to move in all direction of your set diameter. A solid J hook 7/0 or 8/0 works fine. For best action hook your gill in the meaty section between anal and dorsal top of back, to insure you don't hit the spine. I will say that you have a better shot of utilizing floating rigs in calmer water, unless you like recasting and floating over your target over and over again. But like i said i stick to the same rig regardless only changing weight size and distance of movement.
    sck