Bluegill - Perch

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Bdstory, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Bdstory

Bdstory New Member

State:
    Texas
    I fish on Lake Conroe in Texas and have wanted to fish for some Flatheads. What im wondering from anyone that knows the area is where do you get some Bluegill or perch to use? I havent seen it sold anywhere yet. Do you use a thrownet or go catch it with your R & R?

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I can't say for the state of Texas,but in Missouri you use rod and reel,and also I am told that if you catch them out of a consevation (Fish and Game) lake and pond and get caught using them for bait you'll be fined. Up here to use them you have to go to a private pond and catch them for bait. That is what I have been told,but I'll stand to be corrected if I'm mistaken--------pk powell:big_smile:

3. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    As PK said, best research your laws first then decide what's best. Here in Alabama, you can only catch them on R & R, except in private ponds where anything goes.

4. Greg32

Greg32 New Member

State:
    Northeast Kansas
    Usually you'll have to catch your own bluegill, at least in this part of Kansas you do... Makes for a fun afternoon! Nothing like getting 50 to 75 bluegill for bait purposes!

As for Missouri, a bluegill is considered a nongame fish, therefore may be used as bait. You can use pole and line, trotline, throwline, limb line, bank line and jug line year round. Snagging, snaring, or grabbing from March 15 through May 15 and then again from Sept 15 through Jan 31. Your daily limit on nongame fish except carp and gold fish is 50 if taken by any above method except snagging, snaring, or grabbing, then your limit is 20.

The only thing you can't do with a bluegill in Missouri is sell it or transport it from the state IF it was taken from public waters.

The above info was taken from the Missouri Dept of Conservation "A summary of Missouri Fishing Regulations" pages 9-12

Greg

5. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Check the BOC library and build a perch trap. Big Sam's perch trap. I catch all the perch I need that way. In TX, the openings in the funnels can't legally be over 3" tall and 1" wide, bait with beread or sterafoam peanuts. Our local bait shops sell perch, but they run about $9 per dozen. I catch some with a cast net also.

Jim

6. cooo2

cooo2 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Here in Philidelphia Pa it is R & R all the way, but you catch them fast, with a small hook.

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    In FL, You Can Only Use Them For Bait On A R&R and Only By The Person Who Caught It On A R&R. It Doesn't Matter If They Are Alive, Dead Or Cut Up

8. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    From my understandin, in TX you can only catch them on R&R. Don't take my word for it though.

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    From your Texas Parks and Wildlife Site:
    Bait Fish Exceptions

In Brewster, Crane, Crockett, Culberson, Ector, El Paso, Jeff Davis, Hudspeth, Loving, Pecos, Presidio, Reeves, Terrell, Upton, Val Verde, Ward, and Winkler counties, the only fishes that may be used or possessed for bait while fishing are common carp, fathead minnows, gizzard and threadfin shad, golden shiners, goldfish, Mexican tetra, Rio Grande cichlid, silversides (Atherinidae family), and sunfish (Lepomis).

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/fish/limits_freshwater/exceptions.phtml

Also:

Statewide Bag and Length Limits:

Catfish: channel and blue, their hybrids and subspecies 25 (in any combination) 12 inches

Catfish, flathead 5 18 inches
    Sunfish: various species including bluegill, redear, green, warmouth and longear No limit No minimum
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/fish/limits_freshwater/

10. Bdstory

Bdstory New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks all for the replies.

I and the lake are in montgomery county so im ok with using them for bait unless I read wrong.

Going to try a throw net and see what happens. Also I know a spot I can catch them all day long on rod and reel so I might give that a shot, the only problem is they are about as big as my hand where im talking about. I dont know if thats too big to use as live bait for the flatheads or not.

Bill

11. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    bdstory, I use to use bait traps in a privet pond, now I just take a cane pole and catch all I need. Earlier this year, we put 170 red perch in the boat along with 90 eater bluegills in 2 hour. There were three of us fish to. This time of year, I have been put 70-90 red perch in the boat in and 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Here in Louisiana, bluegills will not live on the hook for over and 2 hours, and they do not move very much at all once hooked. This time of year, you will find them in rocks or brush in the shad. Two weeks ago I was catching them in 18"-24" of water. Hope this helps.

12. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    it legal in texas when we run lines we catch them on rod and reel then bait up.

13. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I prefer bluegill or any bream hand size for flathead. I've caught many 5&6 pounders on hand size bream. Remember that ole flathead has a big mouth and a big appetite. grizzly

14. Bdstory

Bdstory New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks, I was wondering is hand size was ok, I appreciate that.

Bill