Bluegill lure?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by bigkane, Aug 6, 2009.

1. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    Silly question, but I was wondering if anyone used a R&R with a lure to catch bluegills? If so what type of lure is best for catching 'em. To legally use a bluegill in Ky. I think they have to be caught on R&R. I usually don't have a problem catching them on red worms, but thought it'd be nice to use some type of artificial. Any info is greatly appreciated.

2. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Fly rod with a popper or if you can't use a fly rod, try placing a bobber about 3 ft above a popper fly.

John

3. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    :roll_eyes:shoot just get some wax worms and be done with it

4. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    If I don't feel like fetchin some worms, I just use a 1/64 or 1/32 tube or maribou jig.

5. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    as a matter of fact there are lures for panfish bro. u can find some at walmart. Rebel makes some that work well. the rebel minnow, there is also the minnow crankbait by rebel. they are small too. micro size. use it with about 2lbs test, any heavier and the baits wont work correctly.rapala also makes a minnow and its jointed. this one works awesome. sorry about pic quality, my camera wont focus right.

Attached Files:

6. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    a fly rod and assorted flies should do it, heck if i can use a fly rod anyone can :roll_eyes::big_smile:

7. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Pretty much what Matt said, but there are also some mini crawdads, grasshoppers, frogs with small lips that can dive a couple feet. I ususally use crawlers, but sometimes it fun to break out the ultra lite. Good luck.

8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    purple beetle spin,,,, you will catch tons of nice ones.

9. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Small rooster tails a creek = Green sunfish .

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i use a very small white rooster tail ,i tear them up with that little bugger.

11. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    like everyone else is telling you a fly rod is the best way ive found and a lot of fun with a popper. but if your using a spinning rod must be ultra light and any tiny jig or crank bait...my experience tells me though if i am going for pretty good size blue gill those baits will target them better but i wont catch the same number.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Artificial crickets on a fly rod. You have received several good ideas.

13. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i love fly rods, poppers and bee patterns, but regular rods i use a beetle spin, real small tube jigs or them yo-zuri snap beans. all work really well, but the fly rod brings the best results

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Jeremy
    You can catch bluegill in cast net But Sunfish you have to catch on R/R. Rooster tails are the best I've found,white, yellow or red.

15. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    If I dont wanna use worms, I just get my ice fishing rig with 2 lb test, I actually have a 4 ft bluegill rod with an ice fishing reel and 2 lb test, tie a fly on and use the fly, they really nail the fly and its fun reeling them in on 2lb test and an ultralight, especially when you hook the 6 inch and up blue gills, they fight like monsters

16. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Try a nice shiny gold hook. I think 'gill will hit anything

17. festus

festus New Member

Bluegill and other sunfish will hit about anything sized to them. If I'm using jigs, I try to use 2 lb. or 4 lb. test line with a tube jig or twister tail on a 1/32 leadhead. Mini crankbaits such as the 1-1/2", 2", and 2-3/4" in Rebels and Rapalas work fine. You can also get the downsized Norman crankbaits that are about 1-1/2" long. Rooster tails, tiny Kastmaster and Sidewinder spoons are great.

One of my favorite methods is to tie on about a 2-1/2" Rapala on 4 or 6 lb. line. About 12" upline, tie on a 4" dropper, and tie a trout dry fly to it. I've caught doubles many times this way, with an occasional bass, stripe, or crappie.

18. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    Thanks guys for all the great info. Right now the only time I can fish is in the morning after work. I've been taking the family fishin' and thought it might be fun to catch some gills and sunfish for bait while I'm there. I really haven't had any luck catching cats around 9 a.m. to noon, so I need to catch something.

19. fishfever

fishfever New Member

State:
    ky
    I too am finding this thread informative. The pond behind the house, has tons of blue gill that steal your bait/worms very easily. Its almost criminal how good they are..... I'm guessing that I'm gonna have to buy an ultra light, although the last one I bought looked like it would break pretty easily if I got ahold of a decent fish. I returned it, but may try another model.

20. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like to use the small black or white rooster tails