Bluegill hooks

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by cliff n york, Sep 30, 2007.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    do you use gold hooks for blue gills, and what size hooks do most of you use

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I prefer size 6 or 8 Aberdeen hooks from Eagle Claw.

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Size 6 baitholders from Matzou America work well also. :wink:

4. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got these tiny green ones the otherday..havent used em but i will tonight.

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I like size 6 or 8 but I like the red ones eagle claw makes

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    size 10 eagle claw with a piece of worm or anything else for that matter. they aint picky. Ive had them hit spit once.

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    #10 Gamagatsu octopus circles. Let them do the work. See the bite,just reel em in. LOL!

8. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    #10 Eagle Claw Bait Holders and a small piece of worm. I use a small pair of sharp scissors to cut the worms up. Another tip on catching gills (at least it works for me) is to make sure the tip/point of the hook is almost covered by the worm. I have found that if a lot of the hook point is showing the gills are a little slow on the bite. This may be all in my head but if I am not getting a bite and I know gills are there I check my bait and most often the hook is showing, I fix it and catch more bait. I also use the small 3/4 round floats or a small thill float. I think the small float helps detect when a bite happens and you don't get as many gills taking the hook deep.
    I never thought to use circles for bait, that would save a few gut hooked fish and most likely several re-ties. I will have to give the #10 circles a try. If I can find them at the store or think to order them.:big_smile:
    Thanks

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The aberdeen but thats because philly cat clued me in on that. I was recently tried a small (smallest i can find) regular octopus hook. I still think the aberdeen did best though. I m still trying to figure it out do you set the hook with these little guys or let them run for a bit......hmmmm

10. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I use a size 8 hook with an extra long shank. This seems to keep them from swallowing the hook and makes it easier to remove the hook. I just thread about half a wiggler on the hook and leave about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of worm squiggling on the end. If you use a float, try adding split shots until the float barely stays above water, this lowers resistance when a fish takes your bait and gives you increased casting distance. This is how I catch almost all of my bait. I've been thinking of trying a small circle hook, though.

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I think I mainly use size 10's Eagle Claw but have used bigger hooks as well. The smaller hooks seem to catch more fish for me but Ive caught gills on # 4's too.

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i use size 6 octopus circles you can catch one after another with those.

13. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    #6 Gama octopus red w/ gold powerbait crappie nibs. they love em.

14. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27:

"I agree with you 100% Big G"

When :worship: Deltalover :0a23: was still with us (R.I.P.), he turn me on to circles hooks for Bluegills, Due to the fact that there (Gills) are so aggressive & will do all of the work for you. You just watch your slip bobber go under & reel him (or her) in.

"You got to love it"! :wink:

If I was to use any other hook - It will be an Eagle Claw - Lazer Eye - in a size #8.
    :0a26:

Take it easy, :0a22:
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Delatlover"

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    #8 Kahle is my main hook now as they can be fished like a circle or a "J" hook in my opinion.#6-8 light wire hooks,size BB sinkers with 10-12 lb.line where snagging is a problem as I can straighten out the hook and 1-6 BB shot do not hang up as bad as larger sinkers.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

16. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I never thought of using the Kahles for these buggers. I think i might have one in that size worth a shot though. Thanks

17. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I take #6 short shank and bend them into my on version of a circle hook.

18. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Try the smallest lead head you can find. WORKS AMAZING, hooks straight through the lips with limited to no swallows!

19. Eurolarva

Eurolarva New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    1/64th ounce flu flu (yellow) with either 2 or 4 lb mono. Tip the hook with waxworms. The big ones dont even cause the bobber to move. I have watched bulls in the winter while ice fishing with my aquaview and they are amazing. They actually turn their bodies to the hook and have the bait completely in their mouths and the bobber does not move at all. When you try and set the hook it dont work cause the hook just comes right out of their mouths without hooking them. Spawn time is the best. I usually catch and release however there are some big angry males and I think they are attacking instead of eating when the lure gets near the spawning beds.

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Great big Striped Bass Minnow Baits (8"-10" Ain't too big) worked over bedding Bluegill will foul hook the BIG male Bluegill as they strike at it defending their beds.You also catch the 20 plus pound Strippers feeding on them.I once had to show the game warden on the Santee as he thought I was illegally "snagging" because of the wounds on the Bluegills."It's snagging but it is legal",he said. love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee