Bluegill, hook 'em top or bottom ?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kyron4, Mar 27, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've always hooked 'gills behind the dorsal fin when fished on the bottom. I read that hooking then on the bottom behind the anal fin allows them to swim more natural and live longer . Does it matter ? Any input ? -Thanks

2. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    I like to hook them in the mouth and out the top of the head. This seems to keep them alive for hours. JMO

3. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    depending on the underwater cover, when there is a lot of places for the bluegill
    to hide in on the bottom either use a three way swivel rig with the weight on the bottom and the bluegill up off the bottom. hooked anyway way you like
    If the bait is hooked on the underside it will tend to want to swim up. If you are fishing are using a rig with the sinker first and the hook on the end of the line then hooking the bait on the underside will help somewhat in keeping it in view
    of hungry cats. In moving water three way rig with bait hooked thru the eyes or the upper lip. Don't hook it thru the top and bottom lip because it will not be able to breath and die pretty fast.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    what about where theres lots of weeds, how would ya'll hook em there?

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I always just put it thru thier eyes never had much luck with going behind the dorsal. Of course I havnt caught anything that big yet so that may be why :big_smile:

6. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I have always hooked them in the tail and they stay alive a long time and they seem to attract fish pretty good that way. I use hand size bluegill or bigger so I use an 8/0 size hook which is a must or you will loose a lot of fish because the cats wont get hooked if not.

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i hoook em in the back... but i like to cut em on the sides for more scent out... ill try it out more this summer and expirement a bit

Jeff

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Particularly when fishing in a weedy or snaggy spot, clipping off most of the tail fin and the pectoral fin on one side can help. With most of the tail gone, the baitfish doesn't have as much swimming power, and losing a pectoral fin on one side tends to make it swim in a circle (tends--not guaranteed). But if you're limblining, don't cut the fish at all; just rig it so that it's back is barely underwater when the line is hanging straight down, and when it tries to swim away, it causes lots of splashing. That's the dinnerbell.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I hook mind though the middle.

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I think i would hook them in the back in weeds:big_smile: and if drifting in the nose