Bluegill Heads For Channel Catfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by fishinpals, Jun 5, 2006.

1. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Which is best in your opinion? Fresh heads or ones that have been aged for awhile. Going tonight where there are some channel in the 20 lb range. Thanks for the help.

2. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think you are going to get the same answer from everyone on this one. Fresh is definately better than aged IMO.

3. meat_hunter

meat_hunter New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Always Used Fresh Shad Heads. They Have Always Worked Good For Me. Although Never Had Much Of A Chance To Use Bluegill Heads. But I Have Always Heard That They Work Great.
    James

4. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    fresh is the best

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    fresh for sure.

6. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Thanks. Looks like I will be using fresh heads. My wife really didn't like the idea of me having a bunch of heads setting around for awhile.

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    A 20# channel is a fine target Jim. I would take a couple of things to offer them. Hope to see some fine pics. LOL!

8. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I've got to go with George again on this one...Fresh cut bait and some live bait too. Shad, chubs, gills, and anything that's good & oily/bloody. Even if you catch something that will pass for cut bait while you're fishing.
    Don

9. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Fresh is the best! I have used both trying to save time catching bait by freezing some I had left over, the fresh always worked better. As mentioned above take some different offerings also. GOOD LUCK. Bigcatman0816.

10. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    heading Out Tonight! Ive Got Some Fresh Gills . Man Do They Like Fresh Cut Bait. I Caught Some Huge Gills And Sun Fish Out Of A Buddy's Farm Pond. Ten Inches Long, 4 1/4 Inches High, Really Nice Sized Gills. Was Gonna Eat Them But Then Decided To Use Them To Catch My Cats. Some Of Them Were Full Of Eggs. Have Any Of You Guys Used Blue Gill Eggs As Bait?

11. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Never have used them but betcha they would work. Went with IDNR to place nets for channel cat check and they put then close to big bluegill beds cause they said the channel like the eggs. All the channel they cut open had the bluegill eggs in them. Don't know how to keep them on the hook though.
    Have a good one

12. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    I always use it fresh no matter what, especially shad

13. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Put about 15 bluegill eggs or whatever suits you in a panty hose. Tie each end of and double a cirlce hook through it so you won't cast it off.