Bluegill heads for blue catfishing

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, May 18, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    bluegill heads, were producing huge runs wen i was fishing for blues, in powertone, i dont know if thed work on the miss, alton ,missiriry rivers

2. pitbull1078

pitbull1078 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    where is powertone?

3. Bricky

Bricky New Member

State:
    Missouri
    they work dang good on lake of the ozarks in missouri

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    south of peoria pekin

5. Catfish KID

Catfish KID New Member

State:
    godfrey,illinois
    gills work on the river, but ithink they work better on lakes. especially power plant lakes for some reason. just my 2

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jake the bluegill heads work in most of our area fisheries, including the rivers. Skipjack heads have also been good for me.

7. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i think at times heads will work anywhere:roll_eyes:

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I drift for channel Cat often during the summer here in Iowa and it seems that the heads produce larger fish for Me.The filets work well also,you just scale the gill and leave the skin on then take the filet off and they will stay on your hook real well. J.D.:wink:

9. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    So far I have not had any luck with perch heads or shad heads or hot dog. I have only fished them on trotlines. I keep trying, but all my luck has come on live perch or frozen shad.
    Jim

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    at powetone any fresh cut bait works esesaly the firs half hour its cut, then it gets slower and slower, so i keep getting bluegill and cutting heads and meat off every hour , with shad, you risk loosing the bait from niblers so i want gill or skipjack, or larger shad cut up, i do wander if you got them in a cooler all day they will still be fresh, i think there fresh as long as there not in heat

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Get ya few live carp toss a 2 inch x 8 in fresh cut strip in there. Then hang on!!!!!!!!! Fresh bloody carp is a awsome tailrace bait. And if ya real nuts toss a 1/2lb fillet descaled side up in there on a 9/0 to 10/0 octo hook and a bottom hang rig ya might lose a weight but you will get the biggest blues in the area. Carp skin is tough so just hook 2 inches in and leave the hook point open. Just dont cry when ya get spooled :wink: