Bluegill head

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by kingdawes, Aug 9, 2007.

1. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have always heard that blue gill head is good. I have always heard that a whole live blue gill is good. Why would you not want to use the tail? Is there something that the fish don't like about other fish tails. I know there not dogs........but you would think that if a big'ole flatty would eat whole fish they would eat just the hind end too. Just a question I was wondering about

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    They will hit the tail, it's just that the head is easier to hook properly, has more blood/scent, and that's about it. In my opinion I think they work better than the tail, but I certainly don't throw the tail away. That's good bait and sometimes at the end of the night bait can be scarce.

3. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    when you hook a blue gill head do you just go through the lips?

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yeah, I typically just go through the bottom lip and out through the nostril or just the top lip. That usually works pretty good. Also if they're small enough, you can just hook them through the eyes. Just make sure that you use a big enough hook to get those guys though.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've had lots of luck with flatheads on the Ohio river this year with live bluegills and bluegill heads. Not sure why but they'll take the head before they will anything.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    In the head and body, the blood & gut scent last longer than the tail. The tail end bleeds out much quicker leaving only meat and fin, therefore the scent doesnt last as long.

7. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    The reason they hit the heads better is due to all the good stuff being in the head & gut pocket area on the gills. The eyes,brain matter and guts.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im going back to the dog/ tail thing...they like to sniff the tail, but smells different down there. so they usually shift back around and try that...:smile2: so if they start at tail, then go to the head, does that mean im fishin for sh4theads??:confused2:? just wonderin!

9. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like that lol. Thanks everybody for clearing that up for me it makes better sense now.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Walter on this. I like useing heads for the above reason. :smile2:

11. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I like to use the head b/c if you hook it through the eyes more often when you catch a fish the head will slide up the line and you will be able to reuse it. I've caught 3 or 4 cats on the same head

12. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i think i read in a magizine that the eyes have a big part to do with the fish going for the head to. why are the eyes the most realistic looking part of a striper or bass lure(for the most part)? im sure it has to do with more scent to but i think it could do with the eyes also.

13. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Bluegill heads are one of my favorite baits.

14. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    The eyes are the 1st thing they want to eat,they are soft and higher in protein then other parts of the fish. To the cats it's like the Prime Rib of bluegill.

15. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Right thru the eyes!!! They stay alive and its a very hard part of the gill!!

16. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I fished lakes many a night using bluegill. I would cut head, middle and tail. I found on certian nights they would take the head over other parts, but other nights they woulkd only take the middle or tails. On most occasions they liked the head over the other parts. I really like the live bluegill also. Just something about watching my pole dance before the big strike.

17. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i like the head just seems 2 work best 4 me

18. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Its all good. Heads are slightly better for me, especially if drift fishing, but I've caught a lot of cats on tails and the mid-section.

19. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I wonder why that is? You would think the body would be better. More meat.
    Bill

20. 2MNYKATSNOTENOUFTIME

2MNYKATSNOTENOUFTIME New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    These guys are all right. It's all about the guts.

If you use the head, I usually hook them through the eyes.