Bluegill for flathead catfish? - Cutting of fins?

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by bigtimingcats69, Mar 15, 2006.

1. bigtimingcats69

bigtimingcats69 New Member

State:
    Stuart, Virginia
    I read something somewhere that said to cut the fins off of the bluegill and it would attract the cats by swimming harder. I was wondering if you could do the same thing with goldfish. Anybody have and suggestions on this? Also do you think crappie would work for some flattys? If so how big do you think they should be?

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Bigtime,

I have heard the same too. I guess it comes down to what you prefer. About using Crappies for bait, you might want to check the State regulations first I believe it might be illegal to use 'em for bait.

3. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Yeah i agree , take a second and call the DNR for VA and find out if crappie is a bait fish., its better then catching a big monster cat and having some state offical with a flash light congratulate you all the way to Jail

4. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    I was told a few years back that it's against the law to use bluegills too. The warden said they were a game fish, and commenced to dumping my bucket out. That happened in Va Beach. I have no idea for sure what the reg is, but I can almost guarantee crappie are a no-no.

As far as clipping fins, I never liked doing that. Usually the hook in there back was enough to make them swim like a distressed fish.

5. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Bass,

That game Warden was wrong. As long as you catch the blue gill with a hook and line and not a net of any sort, you can use it for bait. However, there are restrictions in using live fish on trotlines and other non pole techniques.

6. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    Bluegill and crappie are legal to use as bait as long as you catch them on hook & line, If im fishing with either i always carry a small pole with some sort of jig on it, so there isnt any questions by the man...my friend got a nice fine b/c the warden didnt believe he caught them on hook & line, and he didnt have his crappie rod w/ him, so he couldnt prove it, i think it also hurt his story, b/c he had crappie bream and shad in the same tank, with his thrownet laying beside the tank...

as far as what size is best, in my oppinion bigger is better, If your fishing for monster cats...
    Good Luck,
    Mike
    (cpr)

7. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    i have heard of this, kinda like the limping impala.....lion goes after it..easy prey,but i dont clip the fins......if a flathead sees it he will get it, i dont waste my time messing with the fins...mack

8. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    I've tryed yhem both ways and really didnt see a differance

9. bronco67

bronco67 New Member

State:
    nc
    here in nc i was told you can use them for bait even if it was a sport-fish but if there was a size limit or slot limit or a creel limit you were not allowed to cut them in half cut their tail or the head off unless you were cooking them right then so be carefully technically if you just fillet them and leave the head and tail connected or use live and legal size you are safe.

10. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have cut the tail off before and let the little bugger swim around in the water but they don't live long that way but if a cat is around they seem to hit it faster.