Bluegill for channel catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by katlover, Aug 31, 2006.

1. katlover

katlover New Member

State:
    california
    how well does bluegill work for channels? the ones in a pond i fish are prolly from 2-4 inches in length. what part of the bluegill should I use? how big a piece for whta size hook? thanks.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    They work awesome for all types of Catfish. Use them live, or cut them into 2-3 inch pieces. Use a 5/0-10/0 hook depending on the type of hook it is and size of Channel Cats you might catch.

3. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Katmaster has said it all LOL .

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Whole and live are just the head and mid-section, hook size needs to match the bait you are using, So in closing just what Zakk said.

5. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    from my expierience, bluegills work best on channels, if they are made into cut bait. i tend to use the heads most often, they seem to really drive the big channel cats wild. i caugt a 9lb, 9.5 lb, 10lb, and a 14lb channel this summer, all on bluegill heads.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Best catfish bait made...by God of course.

Heads are usually the prime bait for me, but some days they will hit any part. My largest channel, 12 pounds 4 oz., was caught on a bream steak.

7. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    bluegill are great for channels. the heads deff stay on very well.

8. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA

Ditto. Not bad advice there. Whole is how I use them, the size you stated should be just right for some nice fish.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    What can i say it all been said:surrender:

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Heads up, no tails, bluegills are a winner for channels and blues. Unfortunately, gar love 'em to. Still, not much is better than a gill head the size of your fist to catch a 8+ lb channel.

11. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Just a little different twist on the bluegill guys. sometimes I scale a large bluegill and leave the skin on an take a filet off the side and put it on a #3 kahlie hook, the channel cat tear this presentation UP. Don't know why but they don't fool around with it they just pick it up and take off. I think it has to do with despensing more sent into the water maybe. give it a try sometime. J.D.

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    For the bigger channel cats, I use cut bluegills. The head portion seems to work the best for me. Use a 6/0 - 8/0 hook.

13. whisker hunter

whisker hunter New Member

State:
    Springfield,Ohio
    I too have had best luck with the heads but I cut the head off in a manner that the organs stay with the head,works every time.

14. katlover

katlover New Member

State:
    california
    thanks everyone. i'll be sure to try this stuff out.

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Everytime I go fishing, As soon as I get the spot I'll be fishing,I get my ultra light spinning outfit and wax worms, Mr bubbles bucket and go catch about 15-20 2-4" blu-gill, and the ones I don't use for flatheads, In which the size is perfect..

I filet the sides off and cut them into strips, 1/2" Wide x 1,1/2" in length. Put them in a plastic bag and then in the cooler to keep them fresh..Along side the bag of Salmon strips, Them channel cats LOV'EM.:006:

oops I forgot to mention the only defference is that I use #2-4 Gamakatzu Octopus Hooks
    ( razor sharp and strong )

16. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Katmaster Jr. & Steve-O Summed It Up Perfectly.

17. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I guess everyone has their preferred method, for the particular water they fish. So, for me, that would be whole and alive.

18. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    everyones talking about 5/0 and 6/0 hooks i just use a size 1. what are 5/0 and 6/0 hooks and what not? lol:roll_eyes:

19. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    The small one I like to butterfly and hook thru the eyes .

20. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Yep,exactly what he said.