Bluegill for bait

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mo.Hick, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    On the 28th Adam1886 are going to be at Warsaw and fishing that night. What my question is does anyone use bluegill for bait there. Do you catch many flatheads there does the blues hit them very well. We will also be using shad but wanted to try bluegill also. How do you hook them. Sounds like stupid questions but I have never fished with them. Any info would be appreciated.

Tom

2. farmer

farmer Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Tom I have never used bluegill up there but I know Troy does a lot and has very good success. I am sure he will chime in on this. People do catch there far share of flatheads there. Thats where I got my biggest at but came on cut shad. Those blues will hit them no problem. I hook them just behind the dorsal fin. Hope this helps and good luck.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Bluegill will work on cats just about any where I suspect. They are very good bait, especially for the flats. When fishin for flats, I hook the bluegill thru the upper part of his mouth and out between his "nostrils". Careful not to hook him too far back as it will kill the fish. I then "clip" the tail to provide a blood trail. I don't cut off the entire tail, Just a small portion on the bottom. It leaves the trail and makes the fish swim as the wounded fish that he is. For blues the gills will still work, but I prefer to cut them.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    In the last ACATS tournament, we ran out of shad during the last hour of the tournament and had nothing but bluegill left. We caught 3 of the biggest fish of the day on cut bluegill during that hour. Didn't catch anything on live bluegill all day, but the definitely showed a preference for the cut stuff.

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm like Brother Hilljack brem will work about any where you go, one thing i like to do is put a cork on about six inches from the hook this will keep your bait out of the mud

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've seen times when cut bluegill were clearly out fishing cut shad and other prime cut baits. I've also seen times when the opposite was true, shad produced many bites while the cut bluegill just set there untouched for hours. And I've seen times when live baits would far out produce cut bait for blue cats, although that is definitely not the norm.

Bottom line is that I advocate having a variety of baits. Put a cut shad on one pole, a cut bluegill on another, and a live bait on the third. Once you see what is working, put that on two poles and continue to experiment with the third.

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Cut bluegills have been very productive for me on blues below the dam. They seem to work best this time of the year when the water is warmed up. I like the head section the best. I try to have another pole out with a live one for the flatheads. You may not get as many bites on them as you will with shad there but the ones you do get normally will be big fish.

Big strips of carp fillets also work very good for the big blues this time of the year.
    See you and Adam on the 28th at the tournament Tom.

8. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Thanks for the info guys. We will try some of these ideas. I sure hope Adam reads these. Because I will probably forget half of what I have read:big_smile:.

Tom

9. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    I like to use bluegills live when fishing scour holes during the warm water months where there’s a chance to catch blues and flatheads. The blue in my avatar was taken on a live bluegill in the beginning of August. That’s what started me using a stinger set up when I noticed that the blues seem to get their jollies by crushing the gills (squeezing them)… use to have many of dead gills with their eyes popped out but no blue, not any more with the stinger… gills are definitely an all around good bait during the warm water season.

10. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    We fished below Truman dam last Saturday afternoon with live gills and cut shad. we caught lots of small blues on the cut shad. The bite was noticeably slower on the live bait rigs, but we caught a nice (by our standards) blue with the gills. I was surprised that we pulled in a blue with the live bait. I was banking on a flathead.

Now I wonder what I need to do to get away from the smaller blues. We caught lots of 1-2lb fish, but only 4 that weighed more than that. The biggest we caught was 5. Bigger bait? or different spot. I was right below the bouys towards the side of the channel.

11. farmer

farmer Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Chris thats all I have been hearing caught too right now. I think it all has to do with the bigger blues spawning right now. Should be a good post spawn below the dam. You are fish a great spot. Just keep your head up. Your day will come.

12. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    Don't get me wrong, it was a great day of fishing. I managed to talk my dad into driving down for a pre-father's day trip (this was a major accomplishment). It was perfect. He came down to the city park ramp, hopped in the boat and started fishing. He caught the biggest fish using the live bluegill. I think he's more excited about getting back on the water than I am!

We caught lots of catfish on Saturday afternoon. You can't ask for a much better day of fishing. I almost feel selfish complaining about the size.

13. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    ive been catching some blue gill for bait this weekend and have been catching two different types,well one is more like a sunfish i think. have you guys found if they prefer one over the other? here are a couple pics of what i was catching

Attached Files:

14. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    the first one is what im callin a blue gill and the second one a sunfish. they are small, bout 4 inches long

15. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    It's the other way around. The first one is a Green Sunfish (also knonw as a Black Perch in some ares) The second is a Blue Gill I think a female and not a bull. Could be wrong on that last bit, but sure about the other. I prefer the Green Sunfish for live bait seams to stay alive much longer and very active!

16. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I have heard that both are good baits. But one man that is no longer with us always said that the blue gill was better than the sun fish. Adam that would have been Bill Summers. He was one of the best catfishermen that I personally knew. But I think it is personal opinion on which one is the best. What ever you have more confidence in is what you should use. Adam we will try both of them and see what happens.

Tom

17. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ryan nailed it. I will take Green Sunfish over Blue Gill any day. In the Mo. river they Stay a live in strong current a lot longer. I have also heard them called Perch or warmouth. They will always have the bigger mouth, Aw-some Flathead Bait!

18. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I also prefer the green sunfish over bluegill, but it seems when Im out trying to catch the greenies, I catch more bluegill. :angry:

19. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    yea thats my problem. for every 15 blue gill i catch i only get one green sunfish. i'm not too worried about keeping them alive cause im going to be fishing down below truman and will most likely use them as cut bait

20. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I like Greenies Alive And Bluegills As Cut Bait Most Of the Time. For Bigger Channels In the lakes.