Bluegill for bait?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by longbow310, Jan 29, 2008.

1. longbow310

longbow310 New Member

State:
    sc
    i was wondering if using blue gill in lake murray was illegal. I have herd it wasn't but that every fish you use for bait counts against your limit.
    please help!!!​

2. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    You can use gamefish for bait with rod and reels, but I don't think so on trotlines......I don't know the trotline rules and don't care to know them. Yes, even if you are using them for rod and reel bait, you can't have more than the legal limit in your boat

3. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    the biggest channel cats i have ever caught out of Murray came on bream heads!! it is legal!!! you just can't have more than the legal limit in your boat!! Say 10 dead small bream for bait and 25 live ones in your live well.. thats to many, and they'll get ya for it. they like perch heads also..good luck..

4. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You can use bream or any other gamefish but it cant come from a cast net it must be caught on a rod & reel

5. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    creel limit in sc is 40 game fish

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Actually the limit for bluegill is as follows
    Crappie, bream (including bluegill,
    flier,
    redbreast, warmouth, pumpkinseed
    and
    redear, longear
    and spotted sunfish),
    white bass, chain pickerel or jackfish,
    redfin pike, yellow perch, white perch,
    walleye and sauger
    Limit: 30 fish per day. (See exceptions.)The exception is 10 Bass(smallmouth or largemouth)

That comes straight from the DNR Rule book. Its can be found on page 18.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I know that here in Kentucky ...bluegils and bream and such are not listed as game fish and there are no regulations on there use. We can net them or catch them by any meens and use them for bait....thanks

8. longbow310

longbow310 New Member

State:
    sc
    Thanks I wasn't completley sure at first if you could use them as bait.:big_smile:

9. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Biggest catfish I ever caught was on a blugill. Try using just the head and guts of the bluegill. Works good. Good Luck.

10. longbow310

longbow310 New Member

State:
    sc
    thanks for the help!:big_smile:

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    My personal best blue, channel, and flathead all came on bream....so.....I guess I kinda like 'em!! :smile2: