Bluegill for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by cattyshack, Jun 28, 2007.

1. cattyshack

cattyshack New Member

State:
    pa
    Does anyone else cut the dorsal fin off of there bluegill?

2. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i dont, but that mainly cause i hook the bluegill right below the dorsal fin and the dorsal fin helps keep my bluegill on my hook!

3. Texas Wrangler

Texas Wrangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well,

It depends on the size of the bait, when river fishing I hook my bluegill in the belly area above the bottom fins this way the blue is right side up when cast out and on bottom.

On large bluegill I will trim the dorsil fin occasionly just makes it easier for a 20# fish to swallow, also if the bite is slow I will also cut the tail off to make the fish bleed a little to help attract a bait. However, any timming done will mean you will need to change your bait more often.

4. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i use em just as i cought em most the time cept with the hook. when ever the bites real slow ill put a few slits in the sides or belly to make em bleed more.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Same here, I leave them pretty much alone except the hook through the nostril. I'm usually fishing in current, so I like to hook them head first. They seemt to live longer and the current doesn't beat them up so bad.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I nomally just hook the bluegills in the middle.

7. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if i am using bills for cutbait i will cut off the dorsal fin. i will cut all of the fins of if i am using them for cutbait. if i am using them live i do not cut off anything.

8. shovelheadfanatic1

shovelheadfanatic1 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i cut them because every time i do it the catfish eat the bait faster then when i dont cut the fins

9. JKeeney20

JKeeney20 New Member

State:
    Lucasville, Ohio
    I usually always leave the bait the same as I caught it...the only exception is when the gills are very large and seem to cary my sinker around (its easier to cut a little tail of than to re-do your rig to add a heavier sinker...my opinion anyways...maybe I am just lazy :)

10. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    I just hook it and put it out!!

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Exactly the way I do it. :big_smile:

12. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i use both in the i hook them threw the mouth and up threw th skull so nothing can rip it off. if im in a lake were smaller fish are i use just the head

13. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Fishing with bluegill i Go through the eye sockets cutting off just the fan of the tail fin, Then trimming the dorsal fin. Seems to keep them alive.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Way back when I was stationed in Montana, I had a tank of piranhas, and I fed them on goldfish. Those piranhas really surprised me, because I expected them to attach the goldfish as soon as I put them into the tank. That didn't happen. Instead, the piranhas retreated to one end of the tank, and the goldfish gathered at the other end. Gradually, they both swam closer and closer to the center of the tank. Eventually, one piranha would bite off the tail of a goldfish and it would frantically try to swim away. That was the signal for all the piranhas to go crazy attacking all the goldfish. Within a few seconds, all that would be left were a few scales floating down to the bottom. Because of that, I've always felt that doing something to a baitfish to cause it distress increases the chance of a fish trying to eat it.

15. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    this has always been my thinking also... natural selection they prey on the weak!