Bluegill for bait

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by Cheez, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    OK folks I have used most every bait known to man for catfishing and have done well at different times with each of them. I can pretty much catch all the eaters I want most any time I go and untill now that was good enough. I want to venture into the big cat/trophy cat game and try for some big fish. The waters I fish are mostly the Tennessee River around Chattanooga. I don't have a huge amount of time to go hunting bait but I have access to some small ponds where bluegill of any size is available. I use frozen skipjack some and frozen threadfin shad as well and they both catch fish very well.
    My question is how well do frozen and thawed bluegill work? I can get all I want and I know that gills are great fresh. Does anybody use them frozen?
    Thanks,

Cheez

2. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Have only used them live and with there guts hangin out. I have never tried them frozen.

3. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    same here look forward to watching more experts sound off on this one...

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have better luck in lake waco on frozen and cut bluegill than shad with my jug lines. at least for 6-10lb fish
    have best luck for bigger fish with frozen and cut buffalo or sucker.
    seems to be slower bite with the frozen stuff but still gets bites.

5. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Not from your area, but I have used fresh, frozen and rotten gills, all are good bait. Around here in Iowa, you aren't going to get trophies unless it is fresh dead or alive.

I have been fishing big fish for about 6 years now, and it wasn't until last tuesday that I caught a big fish (40lb flathead) on anything but live bait. I got him on a fresh cut shad head in fast moving water...

It is more about the presentation of the bait then the bait itself around here. I am sure he hit it because it was rolling in the water with a little bit of fresh blood on it.

tight lines

6. reelking92

reelking92 New Member

State:
    MI
    i tried using some old bluegill that had been in the freezer for awhile, and all i caught was a cold and some turtles.

7. okiefishkiller

okiefishkiller New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I HAVE BEEN RUNNING JUGS ON THE NAV. CHANNEL,(VERDIGRIS RIVER) FOR ABOUT FIVE YEARS. I'VE FOUND THAT FOR BIG FLATHEADS THARE'S JUST NO BETTER BAIT THAN LIVE BLUEGILLS. THE BIGGER THE BETTER. ICAUGHT A 70 LB LAST FALL ON A1/2 TO 3/4 LB BAIT. I NET A COUPLE HUNDRED AT A TIME AND THEY KEEP IN A HOME BAIT TANK UNTIL I HIT THE WATER, THEN I TRANSFER THEM TO A SMALLER BOAT TANK.

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack

Never have used frozen gills for bait, always alive or fresh cut bait. The Tennessee river has big blue cats throughout the whole river basin and lakes. I would suggest catching skipjacks and use them fresh cut or alive. Good luck

9. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Thanks for the replies guys. I know fresh is better and that skipjack is better. In the absense of availability of these two I though someone might have tried the frozen gills. I'll give it a try and post the results.
    Thanks again,

Cheez